bp/wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well i would like to put some a belt so i can dith it iff needed. and don't get to stay down that long at 42 degrees. wish i was diving dry but not in the buget for know. but it well be someday.its only that cold in the winter months. i try to stay active all year. thers only a couple of months i don't dive. thats dec jan feb. i just love it. and yes im a new diver only 70 dives aow. sar far

Personally, I wouldn't load up all the weight on the BCD, and split between the BCD and a weight belt. As the result, it'd be a 30# wing. Smaller wing = less drag and easier venting compared to a larger sibling.

Of the two wings you mentioned, the Oxycheq Mach V and the Dive Rite Venture, the Mach V is a better wing - smaller profile. If you like Dive Rite, then I'd look at their Travel wing. I have used all three wings, and I like the Mach V and Travel wing equally. The old Travel wing was less than 30# of actual lift though.

Given that you're cold water diving, also consider a weighted STA or getting the DSS plate with weight plates.

My single tank cold water rig is a DSS plate with an LCD 30 wing. I like the ease of detaching the wing from the plate.

I use XS Scuba Velcro weight pouches (see picture below) and can ditch the weight on my waist belt with ease.............I put a 4 pound block in each pouch.....and the pouches are $8 each......

For me, it is much easier to just have a BP/W to put on without a weight belt.........

" a weighted STA or getting the DSS plate with weight plates" is 100% non-ditchable......

I also use 2 of the pouches on the top cam band - I put 2 pounds in each of them, so I can have my buddy ditch them if I really need to.....and they help with my trim...

But I always dive my cold water rig with a drysuit, and carry a DSMB, so I have triple lift.....if needed

M

Attachments

• XSSTW.jpg
    XSSTW.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 303
going to a hog setup. what wing would you get for a singel tank. im looking at the oxchang mach v or a dive rite venture wing. i don't no any thing about a bp/wing setup any help would be nice. thanks

To answer your question, I have both but only use the Oxycheq.

thanks guys ill give dss a call

I'll admit, this is a tough question. I took in all the information, but ended up in a different direction than was then thread. I ended up choosing the H.O.G. 32 pound wing and plate (i bought a ss first then an AL) and found it was ever bit as good as others i tried. It's high quality but not really that expensive. And honestly I think it's every bit as good as anything on the market. I don't know what the deal is, however their stuff seams as good or better than stuff twice as much expensive, however it seems to be awsome gear. I have a wing, bp, and bought the fins cause i figured if 1/2 is better than average the other half should be. I just bought a pair of boots, giving their stuff the benefits, I'll let you know how they work. However short of being a shill, I'd say after all my research, you should at least consider it

yes i have looked at them. don't realy know wich way to go just yet.trying to deside if i even won't a bp/wing singel tank setup.i don't dive doubles yet.it well be a couple of years before i go to them.

Just because you currently use 30 lbs of lead does not mean you need a 40 lb wing. Assuming you are more or less properly weighted, you only need enough lift to compensate for the compression of your wetsuit and the weight of the gas in your tank. You also need to be able to float your rig without you in it, but with the amount of weight you're carrying there's no way you'd have it all on the rig.

Go for a steel plate and a weighed STA. You'll still need plenty of weight on your belt or harness. I would go along with everyone else's opinion on the venture wing. The old venture wing was terrific, then dive rite super-sized it and now it's almost useless. Actually the new travel wing (I think it's EXP or something like that) looks really good and I'm sure it's enough lift, unless you load up every bit of weight on your rig. The oxycheq mach V is a very well designed wing. DSS stuff is also excellent.

Another more expensive option (sorry about that) is to ditch the AL80 and get a steel tank for your cold water diving. You'll be much happier, and if you continue to dive in water that cold, eventually you're going to get a drysuit. At that time the steel tank will seem like a trivial expense!

DSS is popular around here, as is Oxycheq and Halcyon. I use a Halcyon 30# Eclipse and SS plate, standard Hog webbing harness. The Venture seems large for a single tank wing to me.

I use similar setup for singles, Halcyon Eclipse 30# with SS BP and Weighted STA, never needed more than that for singles.

For singles I use a Halcyon Eclipse 40#, weighted STA (6lb), and Alum back plate. If I had to do it again I might have gotten the 30# because I really don't use much weight at all. Just got rid of my HP130's and switched to HP100's. With the steel I don't use any weight. With Alum 80's I use 12lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom