BP/WING...recommendations for travel and local use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a 3 kilo of lead difference for me between my no-padding steel BP with small wing and a jacket BC.
2.5 kg of that will be the weight of the steel BP. The disputed assertion is that a typical plastic/fabric BCD is buoyant on its own account and so the change will allow for less weight overall, including the plate. My experience is that any advantage is marginal if it exists at all. On the other hand, BPW have genuine advantages of simplicity, strength and so forth, and I prefer moving weight off the belt to the backplate. Nothing magic though.

If you are in europe, DTD is a great recommendation.
400eur for a complete set and an 17kg wing.

or get a 13 or 15, both of which are more than fine for most diving. I have a Tecline setup that’s also easily sourced in Europe that I like a lot, the 15L. Considering adding a 10L wing for my tropical diving, which should also be enough lift for me.

Seconding the Tecline suggestion, good value for money and the 15L is both decently streamlined and works fine for me diving steel singles in a drysuit.

I checked out the HOG BPW at the shops today. Quoted AUD850. And I think that is already a cheaper option here compared to the Xdeep. Everything is a bit more $$$ down under compared to the options in Europe. Was happy with the fit and comfort, with a 12L steel tank strapped on as well. Will take it for a dive before committing.

As I have never been to Australia, what kind of 12L tank do you have.? The short fatty one commun in Europe or the long one? Thanks
(and r u an "anak"?:))

Check out the zeagle express tech for sale in the scubaboard classifieds. A light weight quick drying rig that would work well for travel. Ready to dive for less than $175 is a great price.

I checked out the HOG BPW at the shops today. Quoted AUD850. And I think that is already a cheaper option here compared to the Xdeep. Everything is a bit more $$$ down under compared to the options in Europe. Was happy with the fit and comfort, with a 12L steel tank strapped on as well. Will take it for a dive before committing.

I have two BP setups. One is a HOG with their steel plate. It’s a rugged setup and is well made.

As others have said...for a BP...most that are traveling are going to want to go aluminum. Even my lightweight steel BP (Dive Rite) is still a little over a pound heavier than the average aluminum plate.

Good luck with the test dive. It’s cool that you’re able to do that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom