BP & Wing Gear Decisions Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's hope you don't mean 'steal' literally.......Because you haven't 'paid' for it yet, LOL !!!!!!

No, I got money coming in. Should be in monday by the latest. And if all goes well hopefully can have you your money in hand by saturday. Also, this is a close knit group, and being a big believer in karma, would be bad to just run.

I think you'll find that a steel backplate gives you just about the ballast you need with a 3 mil suit -- the tank takes at least 4 pounds to sink, and the suit needs a couple more. If I do a formal weight check with an absolutely empty wing in shallow water, I can get away with the SS plate alone, but I'm much more comfortable with 2 lbs on the cambands.

I own a Kydex plate, but I primarily use it for cave diving.

I think you'll find that a steel backplate gives you just about the ballast you need with a 3 mil suit -- the tank takes at least 4 pounds to sink, and the suit needs a couple more. If I do a formal weight check with an absolutely empty wing in shallow water, I can get away with the SS plate alone, but I'm much more comfortable with 2 lbs on the cambands.

yeah I thin in any case my first plate will be stainless then I may need something different later on. Now it's just a matter of narrowing down which one.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2013 at 12:53 PM ----------

Are both of your plates DSS?

To my knowledge you should be able to use any standard plate with the DSS wing. I use an H plate and harness with mine, works fine except I don't have the rubber buttons that hold it on. Don't need them though. I really like not having an STA with the DSS wing. Keeps the tank closer and eliminates any side to side movement of the tank. Removing the wing from the plate everytime keeps the wing in better shape too.

I'm very happy with a HOG SS backplate and 32 lb wing. Not too big for warm water, big enough for single tank (HP120), cold water and a drysuit

About $400 from Jim L.

I'll chime in with the same thing. I LOVE my HOG SS BP/Wing for OW diving..
It's strong enough to carry a LP108 and an AL80 stage with no issues.

Great price, extremely durable (I've beat mine all up, still looks new). I would recommend it to anyone.

Addons I would get: Zeagle shoulder pads (cheap) and the HOG back pad if you plan to dive it at all with no wetsuit. I dive mine a lot with just a tshirt on and the plate can dig into your back a bit. Other pads may fit it as well. Also make sure to get the 2" crotchstrap instead of the cheesy 1".

Curious how often people mix manufacturers with their plate and wing.

Among the main manufacturers it seems like there are greater differences with wings than plates.

I have a Dive Rite aluminum plate with Oxycheq 30 lb wing. I just got a Deep Sea Supply 17 lb. wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom