BP & Wing Gear Decisions Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I love you guys and all but I know how I abuse my gear and I can say with certainty that I wouldn't buy your used ****. So new (with warranty) is how I do scuba gear.

Not all of us abuse our gear. And warranties don't cover abuse of gear. Abusing dive gear is a good way to get killed. Most experienced divers know that and take good care of their gear. So much so that a lot of used gear is just as good as new. Mine is.

Ok I love you guys and all but I know how I abuse my gear and I can say with certainty that I wouldn't buy your used ****. So new (with warranty) is how I do scuba gear.

I just bought used DSS Backplate and Wing. Both are in excellent condition. I actually feel I got a damn good steal at what I paid for them. So don't be so fast to dismiss used gear.

My suggestion is to get a rig where you can adjust the Hogarthian harness. As far as I know, only Halcyon and DSS offer this option. This is an incredibly handy and useful option in certain circumstances. I added it last year and, having done so, an wondering what took me so long. For getting your gear off in the water (ie for tricky beach exits or even getting on a boat in calm water) it is an great feature. You can also adjust the fit of your harness instantly when you change exposure protection (ie from heavy wetsuit to a dive skin). My wife and I have Halcyon rigs and I have nothing but the best things to say about them from personal experience. You don't need the infinity, mainly because you don't need the foam back pad, as the plate is comfortable as is. The padded shoulder straps are useful if you dive with a skin or without a shirt. Instead of the back pad, get the smb storage pocket, really handy. But, mainly, get the cinch.

I also have heard nothing but good things about DSS, and they also have an adjustment rig, so either would be a good choice for you.

Forgive my lack of knowledge if I am incorrect, but isn't "rig where you can adjust the Hogarthian harness" a contradiction in terms as a Hogarthian harness is by definition made of a single long piece of webbing? I am not criticizing your choice of harness, merely questioning your terminology. I am looking into a backplate and wing setup myself, and I will probably be making the harness myself. I have been thinking of the merits of quick release buckles, and adjustable shoulder straps like on a conventional BCD so that I can get out of the rig easier in the water.

Forgive my lack of knowledge if I am incorrect, but isn't "rig where you can adjust the Hogarthian harness" a contradiction in terms as a Hogarthian harness is by definition made of a single long piece of webbing? I am not criticizing your choice of harness, merely questioning your terminology. I am looking into a backplate and wing setup myself, and I will probably be making the harness myself. I have been thinking of the merits of quick release buckles, and adjustable shoulder straps like on a conventional BCD so that I can get out of the rig easier in the water.

Even though I am still new to a Backplate/Wing I just got my DSS plate and can honestly say even though it is 1 piece you can move the webbing around so it fits you properly and correctly. If you look at the webbing video as done by Scuba Toys you can see him adjust the harness a bit.

I just bought used DSS Backplate and Wing. Both are in excellent condition. I actually feel I got a damn good steal at what I paid for them. So don't be so fast to dismiss used gear.
Let's hope you don't mean 'steal' literally.......Because you haven't 'paid' for it yet, LOL !!!!!!

I think a metal backplate is a reasonable thing to buy used. You can't really break it.

I totally agree, and probably STA too. Also keep a eye on blem Halycon stuff.

Not all of us abuse our gear. And warranties don't cover abuse of gear. Abusing dive gear is a good way to get killed. Most experienced divers know that and take good care of their gear. So much so that a lot of used gear is just as good as new. Mine is.

I know this is totally off topic but since I'm the op I'm goin to rant.

I use the term very abuse loosely. I use my gear frequently and clean/ maintain it far better then most other divers I've met...including dive masters that leave their gear in the dive bag either in the trailer on a boat or the back of a truck day in and day out and the only cleaning it gets is the occasional pool session and annuals. My three year old gear looks brand new because I clean everything with frsh water after EVERY dive and ive got a drying rack to let the gear dry in the open air of my garage. I also do a visual inspection of everything before and after my diving session. After the dive and Only when its fully dry does it get put away. In fact because I'm also a climber I take very good care of my gear. I wouldn't buy a reg or wing used just like I wouldn't buy a used climbing rope. I need to know its history. So my definition of abuse is anyone who doesn't take the time and effort to care for gear at least as well as I do. As a rule in the climbing world most people say its a really bad idea to buy used climbing gear on eBay. I transfer and apply this rule to all gear I trust my life with. Jim because I know of you through third party. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from you but I'd find it real hard to buy from some random person on eBay or a forum member.

I've got exactly 55 dives as of last weekend so that makes me pretty green. Being a new diver and potentially not knowing what to look for I feel strongly that there is some inherent risk with used gear. My job as a diver is to mitigate risk. How do I know that the " used on only one dive deal of the century back plate and wing " didn't get a stainless backplate dropped on it and there is a potential pinch flat waiting to happen. what if the seller has forgotten or doesn't see the importance of mentioning this. For me saving a few bucks is not worth it. For a seasoned vet that can take one whiff of a piece of gear and tell exactly what's happened to the gear then maybe the risk is reduced. But you your self Jim posted that new divers should be responsible divers, know your limits, reduce risk. I agree and therefore will not under any cercumstances buy used life support gear. A backplate or something indestructible is ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom