BP/W with chest strap, quick releases and 2 cam bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you even try crossing the straps behind his neck?
I set up a couple of my backplates this way, and it really makes continuous webbing harnesses more comfortable. Still not as comfortable as my TransPlate, but a lot more than the traditional way of weaving the harness. I'm really tempted to re-weave my TransPlate harness to see if it makes a difference

If I were looking for a BP/W setup with chest strap, quick releases and 2 cam bands, what are my options? I know Dive Rite has one in its Transplate, and Hollis has one in its Elite 2 (but not sure if it has 2 cam bands). It will be a travel rig so will be using it with aluminium plate and travel wing for warm waters. I understand the cons of chest strap and quick releases, so not looking for an opinion on that. Thanks!
For cold water diving at home we have regular DiveRite steel backplates with TransPlate harnesses. For really warm water when we travel, it's a little too heavy, so we have the DiveRite "lite" stainless steel backplate. It's thinner stainless steel, and has lots of cutouts, otherwise feels exactly the same. Stainless steel is more dense than aluminum, so theoretically less lead needed

My local dive shop sells both DiveRite and Hollis. The Hollis products don't seem as well made as the DiveRite ones.

We use single tank adapters with two cam bands. With the DiveRite wings, they'll wobble a little without the STA, and the DiveRite STAs don't weigh much. The STA makes it easier to pull everything apart in your dive bag when you're traveling, instead of having to re-thread cam bands woven through the backplate

My wife uses a DSS steel backplate and wing but used the deluxe harness from Dive Rite. It is basically a DSS rig (2 cam bands, all hardware, crotch strap, etc) except I used the webbing from the DR kit. It fits her chest and shoulders better than the one piece.

Now. While you don't want to hear it, and I can't remember if it was brought up in the other threads, if the desire for a chest strap is based on sloped shoulders, you should look up the one piece harnesses and cross the shoulder straps behind the diver. It is a common solution to that issue.

Any chance you have a picture on this? I think I tried this for my wife but on the DSS plate the angle is kind of to the outside of the plate (if I remember). If you tried to cross them, the webbing buckled pretty bad. I've never seen anyone do this in person.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom