BP/W with AIR2 - Individuality of BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andre171

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Divers,
since this is my first post here (reading passively for some time) I like to start with a short introduction: I'm André, 29yo and I'm a rec diver.

My Buddy and I like to use alternate inflator regulators. Years ago I switched to BP/W and also to a Hogarthian rig. The last 3 years I fitted my current gear to an AIR2 again. Some said the AIR2 won't work with a BP/W. But now I got a good working system.

The key changes for using the alternate inflator regulator were:
- long surrogated hose (OMS offers one 11" - 48cm hose)
- not bond the LP inflator hose to the surrogated (in general for comfortable AIR breathing)
- adjustable inflator leash bungee (loose to comfortably breath from the AIR2)
- bungee hook triglide instead of the left side shoulder D-ring (no interferration between D-ring and the long inflator)
- since I don't use canister lights anymore, I carry my stage pony on the right side (no interferration with the AIR2)

Equipment 2021 - BCD (2).jpg Equipment 2021 - BCD (6).jpg Murner See 2021 (20).JPG

I just want to demonstrate you the individual possibilities a BP/W provides and maybe it is some inspiration. If there are any ideas for optimisation, I will be glad to hear it.

Interesting, I've never heard anything about not being able to use a Air2 with a BP/W.

I use a Air2 on a apex wing with a custom BP fitted for my VDH regulator

I have seen the Air2's in a few BP/W setups.

Ten or more years ago, my buddy and I switched to a BP/W, he converted his oxycheq to work with an Air 2. I left mine as is and grabbed another second out of the pile 'cause I thought it too much of a pita to swap out the vent valve to make the system operate properly. I had used other configurations over the years so I'm not married to a style, he had used an Air 2 to certify and ever since, so he was not familiar with other options.

I found it to be as convenient as on a jacket BC when I borrowed his.

Dive and let dive.

... The key changes for using the alternate inflator regulator were... If there are any ideas for optimisation, I will be glad to hear it.

@Andre171,

I rec dive solo almost exclusively. So, for diving to shallow to moderate depths in temperate water, I usually do not use a backup regulator. However, for these dives, whenever I am diving a single hose regulator with/around/near divers who are not trained in buddy breathing, I replace my standard power inflator with my 2nd gen AIR 2. (Primary 2nd stage is on a "standard-length" hose.) I don't make any other changes to my kit--although I had a custom-length AIR 2 IP hose made for this setup. Absolutely no problem diving this very simple setup.

(Kit consists of a SS Freedom Plate with single-piece continuous webbing, Halcyon Pioneer 27 singles wing, Scubapro Mk 10+ and D400/G250/Balanced Adjustable regulator, hard weights on a weight belt, and an old-school steel 72.)

rx7diver

20F786FF-F448-43DB-B083-D042915B086E.jpeg
My steel 15ltr tanks having dual valves and my Al80s a single valve. With the Twinport Adaptor I don‘t have to switch hoses on the regs. Also, the adaptor saves 3lb of lead.
This Twinport Adaptor is from Coltri (Italy) and the ports can be rotated.

Nice solution. I am curious about one detail: is there any reason why the hose connecting the AIR2 to the first stage is floating in the water in this picture?

Don't you feel that, by attaching it to the wing tube (or whatever its name is) with some bungees, it would be better?

I mean something like this:
upload_2021-6-2_12-38-42.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-2_12-38-20.png
    upload_2021-6-2_12-38-20.png
    486.4 KB · Views: 147
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom