BP/W with AIR2 - Individuality of BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me it feels a bit like you're overcomplicating things.

I dive the air2 sometimes for shits and giggles and to annoy some of my strictly 'dir'-minded friends, also on a bp-wing single tank, but I've never actually needed to make any adjustments whatsoever to make it work properly. Just get a correct size hose, with a correct size corrugated that works for you and voila. You have no need for routing the hose as a loop through your left, you can still wear your stage/pony tank on the left side without issues.

I feel like the main reason for this wonky hose routing is the manifold you're using.
Your first stages are pointing completely outward, which is kinda a snag hazard, but the main issue is, this is making it basically impossible to properly route your lpi without having unnatural bends.

So now you have plenty of workarounds to do just to make it work, because you have some weird italian manifold that should honestly have gone out of production the second they introduced it imho.

Just buy a T or Y-valve for your 15l steel and you don't need to do weird stuff like this to make it work and you can keep your regulators the same on all setups.

View attachment 662722 My steel 15ltr tanks having dual valves and my Al80s a single valve. With the Twinport Adaptor I don‘t have to switch hoses on the regs. Also, the adaptor saves 3lb of lead.
This Twinport Adaptor is from Coltri (Italy) and the ports can be rotated.

@Andre171,

I didn't notice earlier that you are running two first stages. For myself, I don't see any real advantage of using an AIR 2 when I am running two first stages. When I am running two first stages, I use two (regular) second stages and a standard power inflator. See the pics in my old thread here: Freedom Plate: First Dive.

FWIW.

rx7diver

A18A4DC5-499A-44BA-95F6-6F2306EF44F6.jpeg
The twinport adaptor is only for the Al80s (like first dive with M15, second with Al80). And yes, the twinport adaptor is weired, but works.

The „wild“ hose for the AIR2 is not ideal and I‘m going to replace it with a soft and much shorter hose. But, to be honest, with the actual hose feels the AIR2 in the mouth like a normal reg - no sideways pulling.

For shallow shore diving or warm water I use just one 1st stage (of course). The twinport adaptor is only for the Al80s (like first dive with M15, second with Al80).

@rx7diver what a neat and simple setup!

BTW I have a short normal inflator setup readily available for lightweight solo shallow summer diving.

I used to dive combos with a very long hose to enable full head movement, with a pull
half wayish along it, and stuff the thing inside my bcd and use only the shoulder dump.

Today wearing a backplate I would just clip it to the right shoulder D next to my console

with lots of pushbike tyre tube slices holding it all together

I left mine as is and grabbed another second out of the pile
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha gotta love that pile ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom