bp/w VS. Dive Rite Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Obviously a lot of people on this site like bp/w's, but I've also heard complaints about the backplates being uncomfortable.

The only people who say a backplate is uncomfortable are the ones who have never used one. While a BP/W setup isn't for everyone, very few people move back away from the system after trying it.

I can't offer any help with the transpac as I have never dove with one. The benefits of the BP/W have already been put forth.

While BP/Ws are "popular" here, I have yet to ever see anyone else diving one.

BP/W configurations are definitely in the minority out there in the real world, and the choices can be overwhelming at first if you don't have one to try.

I have never dived a Transpac myself, but I can say for certain that you can rock a backplate with doubles wearing no more exposure protection than a Speedo. It was a pain in the butt on land, but underwater it was just fine :D .

Peace,
Greg

I guess I will go against some of you guys here, but I have done hundreds of dives in Transpacs & never had any issues with my tank being unstable or moving around on me. These dives include everything from cold water/drysuit to rashguard and shorts, both steel and AL tanks. Personally, I really like them. You do not have to leave all the "extra" stuff (pads, multiple D-rings, etc) on them if you don't want them, by the way.

That said, I no longer have one and don't use them now. I use a BP/W with single & doubles. Same bp, same harness, just change to a different wing for different dives. Simplifies things for me and less gear sitting around.

In the water, the BP/W and Transpac feel very similar. Both are extremely comfortable and stable once set up properly. I think it's probably a bit easier to configure/setup a bp/w mainly b/c the Transpac has a lot more parts and pieces to assemble and adjust.

:coffee:

My suggestion is rent one of each. I was diving rental BC's when I saw someone with a BP/W. I asked about it and the next day found a local shop that rented transpacs. ( I had no idea what the differences were then). I loved the fit and the trim. So I decide I need to understand what I am wearing a little better, and researched as you have. In the end I purchased a BP/W for myself, mainly because I am big (6'5" 300+) and adjusting to my size was my main focus.

About the same time I am buying gear I am looking for my kids (19,14,11) but couldn't afford new, so I ended up finding used transpacs for my younger 2, and even though they have grown alot, they have been able to adjust their transpacs. For my oldest I found a used bp/w setup.

I personally have moved my bp/w from a hog harness to a Transplate harness as I found adjustment from 7mm to 3mm to skins a real pain with the hog harness vs the transplate harness

Doug, I've made 100's of dives with my trusty TransPac with zero issues. It's made very well, secured my tank just fine and as for the failure point issue, nonsense, it never once failed.
That said, I saw an Apeks WTX Harness system and just had to have it. I'm glad I made the switch but would have no qualms about slipping on the TransPac for a dive.

BP/W is fine but really, if doubles diving is not in your future it's not required in order to have good trim and enjoy the dive.

BP/W is fine but really, if doubles diving is not in your future it's not required in order to have good trim and enjoy the dive.

and even then :wink:

reel-usage.jpg

Peace,
Greg

I use ss bp/w with oxycheq mach v 30lb wing, hog harness. So simple but perfect in my opinion.

I tried a transplate harness. at first with the ss plate thinking the adjustability ect would be nice but its all useless. A backplate with hog harness is so simple for here diving coldwater (45f) with thick gloves and drysuit. I can't see where your located but I can see using a transpac for tropical but I prefer the simple setup hog, bp/w for diving here.

At some point in the hopefully not-too-distant future, I would like to upgrade my poodle jacket to something more streamlined with back-inflation. Obviously a lot of people on this site like bp/w's, but I've also heard complaints about the backplates being uncomfortable. The Transpac seems like a very streamlined back-inflate BC...which seems good to me. I've heard people say they didn't like the Transpac (or a buddy owned one that didn't like it) but I'm not exactly sure why. So anyway, for a guy who does single-tank wetsuit dives (and has no plans of ugrading to doubles anytime soon...or maybe ever) would the Transpac be the best choice? If not, what would be the downside to the Transpac, and/or what would make a good bp/w a better choice? Also, wouldn't the backplates be uncomfortable for warm-water dives where you're wearing just a t-shirt, rashguard, etc.? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If all YOU anticipate to do is just California water diving, then get a steel backplate from whomever you like (Dive Rite, Halcyon, OMS, Oxycheq, DSS, et al). If you think that you may want to do some traveling and do freshwater dives, warm water dives, sidemounted tanks, rebreather, etc., then the Transpac may be for you.

I have my Dive Rite hard plate rigged up for California diving, however while I'm on the road, the Transpac is with me. I can always add weight if I were to need dive weight. I can't take away the weight that's already in the hard plate if I were to want to do some freshwater diving.

The down side of the Transpac is that since it's a soft plate, it doesn't hold the tank tight to your body. Other than the occasional annoyance of tank flapping (ala doing acrobatics with sea lions), it's a non-issue.

My Choice is sort of the in between the Transpac and BP&W but in fact it is a BP&W.
I use a BP with a Deluxe Comfort Harness. I have found that there are times and situations where I have use for a shoulder release. In tropical water or when wearing lighter wetsuits I like the wider shoulder pads. When diving wet I feel the rig to be better fitting with the sternum strap although when diving dry it interferes with my suit inflator so I don't use it. I prefer the easy pull adjust on the shoulder straps on this harness and when diving with others that are unfamiliar with a BP&W the releases are more typical of those that they are familiar with on jacket style BCD. Even though I have chosen this harness for my BP&W rig I have avoided the BP Pad finding it unnecessary to my comfort as I always use at least a shortie and have felt no discomfort.

There are many choices and configurations available to a BP user Hog harness, Deluxe, Deluxe Comfort and many variations with release/s and then Paks like the TransPlate harness or OMS' IQ Pak. In general recreational diving all are useful valid choices that may suit you needs but if your future diving ambitions include certain specialties those may guide or constrain your choices unless you are willing to make further changes in the future to pursue those areas of interest.

After 100+ dives with a BP/W I decided to borrow a friend's Transpac and give it a whirl. After losing the lumbar pad, adding a buttplate and strapping an LP 104 directly to it I was hooked after 2 dives. While the BP/W is a solid time proven rig, the Transpac offers alot of plusses to the equation. I have found that it holds the tank closer to my back which reduces my profile, and the soft backplate is just enough to hold even the water heater of the LP 104's stable. I can adjust it for whatever exposure protection I am wearing and on a rocking boat in 5+ foot seas I can simply unclip one of the shoulder straps and slip out of it with minimal wiggling. As far as weighting goes I only need to add 5-6 lbs to my weight pouch to compensate for not having the SS plate, which in my book is a very small compromise. Wanna dive doubles? Pull the cam straps out and bolt the doubles on to the Transpac with a pair of stabilizer plates that are pretty inexpensive. Also, the Transpac comes with all the stuff I needed to buy "a la carte" for the HOG harness. So in short, I am one of the few that moved from the BP/W to a soft plate harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom