bp/w VS. Dive Rite Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After 100+ dives with a BP/W I decided to borrow a friend's Transpac and give it a whirl. After losing the lumbar pad, adding a buttplate and strapping an LP 104 directly to it I was hooked after 2 dives. While the BP/W is a solid time proven rig, the Transpac offers alot of plusses to the equation. I have found that it holds the tank closer to my back which reduces my profile, and the soft backplate is just enough to hold even the water heater of the LP 104's stable. I can adjust it for whatever exposure protection I am wearing and on a rocking boat in 5+ foot seas I can simply unclip one of the shoulder straps and slip out of it with minimal wiggling. As far as weighting goes I only need to add 5-6 lbs to my weight pouch to compensate for not having the SS plate, which in my book is a very small compromise. Wanna dive doubles? Pull the cam straps out and bolt the doubles on to the Transpac with a pair of stabilizer plates that are pretty inexpensive. Also, the Transpac comes with all the stuff I needed to buy "a la carte" for the HOG harness. So in short, I am one of the few that moved from the BP/W to a soft plate harness.

Oh man...have you done it now...you're gonna die! :D

Thanks again for all the responses. I still don't know what I'm going to end up doing, but the overall feeling I've gotten from the responses here is that there really isn't a wrong decision and I will likely be happy with either the transpac or a bp/w. Certainly either would be a big improvement over my bulky poodle jacket.

I tried both at a Dive Rite event, first the Transpac, then the TransPlate. I liked the feeling of the Transpac, and thought it would be a good option when I decide to make a change (I was diving an Aeris BC that was primarily back inflation, but saw no need to change) I tried the TransPLATE next, and was HOOKED! I ended up ordering one the next week and haven't turned back! The stability and comfort was amazing!

I've since started using doubles, and went with the basic harness (as opposed to the TransPlate harness with the padding etc.) AND I STILL love it!

Try them both for yourself if you can....what I do and like isn't what everyone will like so it's best to make your own decision.

When I dove a single I liked my Zeagle Ranger. When I switched to doubles I went with bp/wing and now that Im sidemount I have a Transpak. I think for single tank diving Id go with a bp/wing with ss backplate to offset some of the loose weight requirements. Too bad you couldnt try before you buy but maybe someone in your area who has a transpak could let you try theres. I believe you would get used to whatever you decide unless you are really picky. One option is to buy used, that way if you didnt like it you could resale it without taking a hit on the inflated retail cost of a new one.

Back
Top Bottom