BP/W STA bolt caught on wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think cutting the bolt solve the problem. Even if the bolt is flat with the wing nut, the wetsuit (or worse drysuit) can still get caught by the wing nut's wing. I believe the issue is with any small area thing that stick out from the backplate. It will bound to happen some day. I know the chance is slim, I was using the same setup for 6 months and it happened just last time. I think for the peace of mind, I will go with pad solution.

I don't think cutting the bolt solve the problem. Even if the bolt is flat with the wing nut, the wetsuit (or worse drysuit) can still get caught by the wing nut's wing. I believe the issue is with any small area thing that stick out from the backplate. It will bound to happen some day. I know the chance is slim, I was using the same setup for 6 months and it happened just last time. I think for the peace of mind, I will go with pad solution.

Usually the edge of a wingnut isn't sharp enough to cause the type of damage I'm understanding from your description. You might try assembling the STA and then laying a straight edge across it where the bolt is to see how much it sticks up.

You could also try rubbing some chalk or something on it, then putting it on over your wetsuit and pull it tight. Then you can take it off and see where the mark is and what caused the damage.

3 possible solutions from most expensive to cheapest.

1. Get a back pad from oms, oxycheq or whatever fits your plate best. Forget the bolts, quickties work better n won't corrode.

2. Buy the right length of bolt.

3. Get a couple of ss spacers/washers to reduce the length.

SangP

Back
Top Bottom