BP/W STA bolt caught on wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not sure if this should be in this section or BC section. Basically, the bolt holding the STA to the BP caught my wetsuit when I was taking off the rig. Obviously, my wetsuit was damage. Does this ever happen to BP/W user with STA? How would you prevent it from happening again?

The wetsuit damage is NOT bad, not through and through, but still need repair. What is the best method to do it? Is aqual seal the right glue for this job?

Sounds like the bolt is too long, it really shouldn't protrude far enough out of the channel to get caught on the suit.
Halcyon make a storage pack that would cover the bolts, there are probably other options that do the same.

Hi,

If the hole in your wetsuit is small, you could just cover the damaged area with aqua seal. If it's a bit bigger, say dime sized then just stitch it back together by hand. Then cover your repair with aqua seal.

As for bolt length, the end of the bolt should not extend past the wings of the wing nut that's threaded onto the bolt. I'm assuming you have a wing nut there.

Another option is to get a pair of the Deep Sea Supply delrin thumbwheels, and cut the bolts or grind them down so that they don't extend past the thumbwheels. They're only $5 for a pair of thumbwheels. You can get various lengths of stainless bolts from home depot, so you won't have to cut any bolts.

Link:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=51

-Mitch

Agree with others, the bolt length is too long. What is your set-up?

As for wetsuit repair, AWS sells liquid neoprene. It's not neoprene cement, it's something else that escapes memory. You layer thin layers till the area is repaired. Aquaseal can be used, but it doesn't stretch.

Thanks for the tips

As for the bolt, it is welded onto the STA, so cannot be replaced, at least not easily. The STA is made by deepoutdoor. The length is a bit long, but it isn't really too long. I have been using it for 6+ monthes, no issue until this time. I don't know what I did, must be my body postrure or something. I think the pad is a nice idea, because I am planning to get a dry suit, I will be a lot more unhappy if I were to damage a drysuit.

Hey, Don, when do you have time to go diving?

You will have to get some kind of padding or make your own. I am not sure what make BP/W you have, but as stated by ERP the Halcyon product have a storage pack that covers the bottom bolt. They also have a padding system which I use (plate & shoulder straps). It is more comfortable when diving doubles, covers both bolts on STA and have less wear on my wetsuit on the long run.

Deluxe-Harness-Pads.jpg

Regarding backpads, it's important to note that attachment points are not standardized. If your BP has a backpad, it's usually best to buy that one. That being said, it's not difficult to modify to fit as well.

If you have access to a Dremel tool, it's easy enough to cut off a little. A die of the correct size will clean up the threads nicely, and only costs a few dollars.

Thanks for the tips

As for the bolt, it is welded onto the STA, so cannot be replaced, at least not easily. The STA is made by deepoutdoor. The length is a bit long, but it isn't really too long. I have been using it for 6+ monthes, no issue until this time. I don't know what I did, must be my body postrure or something. I think the pad is a nice idea, because I am planning to get a dry suit, I will be a lot more unhappy if I were to damage a drysuit.

Hey, Don, when do you have time to go diving?

You can still cut the bolt, even if it's made onto the STA. It's easiest if you secure the STA in a vise while you cut it. A common hacksaw should work fine. before you cut it, thread your wingnut onto the bolt past the point of the cut. After you finish the cut, you can use a file to clean any sharp edges. Then back the nut off and it will ensure that the threads are straight, intact and not damaged from the cut.

You can still cut the bolt, even if it's made onto the STA. It's easiest if you secure the STA in a vise while you cut it. A common hacksaw should work fine. before you cut it, thread your wingnut onto the bolt past the point of the cut. After you finish the cut, you can use a file to clean any sharp edges. Then back the nut off and it will ensure that the threads are straight, intact and not damaged from the cut.

The Dremel tool cutoff blade does a much neater job, and you don't need a vise, but the bolt does get rather hot during the process, so hold it with something like a vise grip.

The rest, just follow CD's excellent advise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom