BP&W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SLATSY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all just upgraded to a bp&w setup got a hog harness ss back plate just chasing some hints for setup to get trim prett close first time and any tricks people have I'm 6'1 dive a 5mm semi dry

Thank in advance

Remember that the shoulders don't need to be too tight (about a fist between the webbing and your shoulder in your thickest suit).

The main things that hold it in place are the waist band and the crotch strap. Make sure they are reasonably tight but comfortable

Play around with tank height as it will really make or break your trim. When you get everything dialed in, you will never look back to a traditional jacket BC! Have fun! :)

Here are some other things to look at.

Dive Gear Express® | Official Site | Dive Gear Express®

DeepSeaSupply - Instructions

For me, the "stick a fist through" check still had my shoulder straps way too tight. For me, when I did the "reach over your shoulder and barely touch the BP" (e.g. first step of the "adjustment" section on the DGX page), that really got the shoulder straps about the right adjustment. That was reaching back as far as I could and just barely touching the plate. With the BP on, hanging by just the shoulder straps and no waist belt around my middle, that ended up meaning the shoulder straps were just about perfect.

For ME, the shouler straps can be way too tight and I could still stick a fist through.

Stupid question because this is first time I've played with a bp&w but I threaded the harness and backplate per instructions then looked at mounting the wing and sta (no instructions) and the top sits proud because the harness is wedged between the backplate and wing is this right ? To me looks like harness should be weaved through wing and sta?

Can you post a picture? The harness definitely does not go through or around the wing. I'm not sure what "sits proud" means.

Not my picture because I'm not home ATM but the same . imagine the sta sitting on backplate at this point the sta and backplate will touch down the bottom but up top there is a gap from where the harness eyelet is. I'm aware the wing goes on then the sta sits on wing but I would think it would of all sat flat against the backplate

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 97
i was confused by this too when i received my first backplate and tried to set it up. you've got backplate, then the one-piece harness, then wing harness, then STA. none of the bolts that came with the kit would fit because there were so many eyelets and harnesses stacked on top of each other that it was just too thick on the top hole. the bottom hole is no problem because it's just BP, wing harness, and STA.

not sure if it's correct, but what i ended up doing was attaching the one-piece harness to one hole using one bolt, then attaching the STA and wing to the backplate on another hole that's higher up and separate from the one-piece harness hole.

Last edited:
Couple of photos

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 191