BP/W question re: New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first BC was a jacket. It was nice and comfortable, but I tried the BP/W and I was hooked. It just felt better in the water. So, to answer your question; there is no reason a beginner should not start with a BP/W. Perhaps they are swayed toward the jacket because a jacket is more familiar to a newbie and it is more comfortable out of the water. (If your not making a hike, who cares about out of water!)

Kriterian:
In any case, don't dive a BP/W simply because it's DIR, Hogarthian or Kriterian-ish...dive it because it's the better choice.

Of course. I had no idea what those were until I started researching BP setups.

Kriterian:
In any case, don't dive a BP/W simply because it's DIR, Hogarthian or Kriterian-ish...dive it because it's the better choice.

RDP:
My first BC was a jacket. It was nice and comfortable, but I tried the BP/W and I was hooked. It just felt better in the water.

2 excellent points for you to ponder, Blackwood.

My first BC was a stab jacket (SeaQuest ProQD+). I dove it for approx 10 dives. I purchased a Halcyon setup and haven't looked back. I sold my SeaQuest about 6 months ago for half of what I paid for it. It stung, but I don't regret it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom