BP&W input from LDS (what do you think)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, at least in the BP/W you will be perfectly trimmed out..........hmm, don't see his point at all.

oversea:
can I get halcyon anywhere on the web? Hows the eclipse and is it compatable with non halcyon plates?

Here's a list of Halcyon dealers (from their Web site) ...

http://www.halcyon.net/dealers/index.shtml

I'm sure most, if not all, of them would be happy to sell you a wing.

They can also answer all of your questions regarding wing sizes, types, and compatibility. Most wings and backplates are completely compatible ... there's a standard spacing of 11" in the backplate holes to accommodate wings ... and every major wing manufacturer that I'm aware of follows that standard. They wouldn't be in business long if they didn't.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oversea,

The idea that a BP&W (or other back inflate style bc's) will "face plant" you at the surface stems from two common mistakes. The first is being overweighted, and the second is not using a crotch strap.

If the diver is over weighted, the natural reaction is to add gas to the wing, maybe quite a bit of gas. If no crotch strap is used the rig, but not the diver, will rise out of the water. Now the rig is above the divers head, not too comfortable.

If the diver is weighted properly, and is using a crotch strap, very little gas is needed in the wing at the surface, and the diver rises with the rig, very comfortable. It's like sitting in a swing.

Even with a near empty al80 just pull your knees up a little and lean back. I usually make surface swims on my back, very secure and comfortable.

Regards,

Tobin George

oversea:
Up until now I've done some reef diving, lots of beach dives and one wreck. I intend to get out in the ocean this year and get down to more wrecks and see some of what I have here on Long Island as I don't get to vacation much. I don't intend on taking my camera all the time and have no plans of ever diving doubles.
Sounds like my kind of diving... I do all kinds of diving - beach, boat, wreck exterior, spearfishing.

So after all this, my question is, is he right? (my lds) If I do pursue the BP&W, should I get it on my own or go back to my LDS? Are all you BP&W people tech divers?

I'm not tech. I'm FUN. I switched to a wing and noticed a HUGE positive difference, even learned how to surface backswim with it fairly comfortably. My stability increased a LOT, my hover is much better, I've got more freedom of movement, and the places I use to hang things are more accessable. Sorry to say, your LDS is incorrect on this one.. my LDS tried to do the same thing to me and I'm glad I stuck to my guns and pursued what I wanted.

cool_hardware52:
Oversea,

The idea that a BP&W (or other back inflate style bc's) will "face plant" you at the surface stems from two common mistakes. The first is being overweighted, and the second is not using a crotch strap.

If the diver is over weighted, the natural reaction is to add gas to the wing, maybe quite a bit of gas. If no crotch strap is used the rig, but not the diver, will rise out of the water. Now the rig is above the divers head, not too comfortable.

If the diver is weighted properly, and is using a crotch strap, very little gas is needed in the wing at the surface, and the diver rises with the rig, very comfortable. It's like sitting in a swing.

Even with a near empty al80 just pull your knees up a little and lean back. I usually make surface swims on my back, very secure and comfortable.

Regards,

Tobin George

Yeah, you can lie on your back like a big baby.

Oversea, who is the LDS if you don't mind me asking ?

This is the second time I have heard someone say that a BP/W does not work well for photography. What, specifically, does the BP/W not do well when photographing something??

Bob C.

People have different opinions - sounds as if he was ernestly giving you his.

In his opinion, the things he said he likely considers to be true.

Thousands of divers enjoy recreational diving in standard BCs. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

Many prefer BP/W. Since you now have both, it seems like you have a good opportunity to compare one against the other and form your own opinion.

(But I wouldn't buy the wing from the guy either. The others have provided plenty of options for you w/re the wing.)

Best of luck

Bob C:
This is the second time I have heard someone say that a BP/W does not work well for photography. What, specifically, does the BP/W not do well when photographing something??

Bob C.

Well, supposedly It'll dive you in head first and will constantly have to correct yourself finning with your hands.

As far as the shop is concerned, I'd rather not say. I am not bashing them and I hope people do not take it as though I am. These guys have been good, very helpful and have known them before I even started diving.

All your info has been helpful as I had suspected, you all seemed to have had taken the side of the bp/w. Thus far, I like the feel and plan to keep going setting up the wings and trying it out.

Back
Top Bottom