BP/w Grab Handle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey man can I tell you a secret

you know most of those bc handles at the top are adjustable so when you place them over the valve
the bc hangs at the height you require, so you can secure tank bands in peace for eternal happiness

Install one on your plates from webbing or from string

They don't work for doubles though, to lift those I use the manifold for 100 years

but not the pigtail ones

hey man can I tell you a secret

you know most of those bc handles at the top are adjustable so when you place them over the valve
the bc hangs at the height you require, so you can secure tank bands in peace for eternal happiness

IME the crap webbing and plastic buckle don't hold when it gets wet and by the 3rd tank of the day the BC pulls itself too low by its own weight and you start hitting the back of your head on the first stage. I expect one can attain eternal happiness if one hits hard enough.

Yes mate sorry for your experience, but these thing are put in life as aids to eternal happiness
like an idea, to be fully explored
so you get better webbing a different buckle then you don't injure whatever's inside your head

My Halcyon 40lb wing has a grab handle on the top. Besides using it when hauling BP/W around, I do use it when wrestling my gear on the boat (I’m short and can’t lift BP/W off tank with tank on the bench, so I move tank to the floor). Damned handy.

I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for a handle now myself. I've been diving an AL Zeagle BP/W that I bought many years ago from an east coast dive shop via an SB member that owned the shop. Now I'm setting up a SS plate & want to rig it the same. So I bought the same harness. Now I'm looking the new stuff over & see that the carry handle he put on my old plate is not part of the harness kit so I've been trying to find one like it with no luck.

Rap had assembled the entire rig, including this strap. I have no idea where he got it, who made, nothing. And he shut down the shop years ago as well as dropping off SB, so far as I know. I'll move this one from the AL plate to the SS one, but if I could find another I'd keep it on both, as I'm keeping the AL plate fully rigged & ready to dive:

50602757246_609a8081d3_z.jpg

50602876642_f095edcdf9_z.jpg

@Wayward Son I don't know where to find that exact handle, but it looks very close(~90%) to the handle I use to have on the Jeep to climb up.
So maybe check out Jeep accessories.

Doubles tank come with a grab handle some people like to call a manifold.

(That was irony. Do not lift your tanks by the manifold)

Is lifting doubles by the manifold really so bad and uncommon? I do it and see it done all the time with no ill effects, not even scolding from instructors. Might need to modify my habit there if the hivemind thinks my twinsets are about to explode though.

(to eliminate any question of semantics, I'm talking about lifting one-handed from the center of the crossbar, not gently, and not with a hand on each valve)

Has anyone actually seen this damage a manifold?

Is lifting doubles by the manifold really so bad and uncommon? I do it and see it done all the time with no ill effects, not even scolding from instructors. Might need to modify my habit there if the hivemind thinks my twinsets are about to explode though.

(to eliminate any question of semantics, I'm talking about lifting one-handed from the center of the crossbar, not gently, and not with a hand on each valve)

Has anyone actually seen this damage a manifold?

I've lifted doubles by the manifold for over 50 years and never had any issue. It may not be the "approved" way of doing it but with the tank bands holding the unit together it's pretty rock solid. That's not to say it's a good idea as I've heard of (but have never seen) manifolds cracking. I've seen manifolds get bent after a set of tanks take a header off a truck tailgate and strike the ground hard so they are not indestructable. Also, it has mainly been short twins (38s, 45s) that I have experience with; however, I recall doing the same thing with twin 72s and the cave guides in Mexico would always tie a rope around the manifold on twin 80s to lower them into some cenotes for us. YMMV :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom