BP/W combo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend you look at Sub Gravity system.They have a choice of 1 aluminum or 3 stainless steel backplates, 4 wing lifts, and 2 harness types, 3 weight pockets styles, and backplate trim weights.

I use their 3mm aluminum backplate, 26 lb wing and adjustable harness for down south diving.
Really looking at this set up. SS vs AL is the question. With a zeagle escape and rash guard I used 8lbs in the Caribbean with Al80, same with my current litehawk. 5’9” 185, but a sinker, pretty dense:) like the idea of not adding weight but don’t want to be negative in warm Caribbean waters , that is where I spend most time.

Really looking at this set up. SS vs AL is the question. With a zeagle escape and rash guard I used 8lbs in the Caribbean with Al80, same with my current litehawk. 5’9” 185, but a sinker, pretty dense:) like the idea of not adding weight but don’t want to be negative in warm Caribbean waters , that is where I spend most time.
I have the aluminum BP and 26 lb wing but I use it strictly for down south diving. You will probaby use less weight with either backplate because there isn't any padding on the Sub Gravity. The 3mm stainless only weights 3lbs 3oz more than the aluminum with a 26 lb wing, so if you need 8 lbs with your jacket BC then you will probably need some weight with either? You can always add wieght but you can't take off what you don't have. Another consideration is over weight baggage fees. I don't know if any of this helped or not?

I have the aluminum BP and 26 lb wing but I use it strictly for down south diving. You will probaby use less weight with either backplate because there isn't any padding on the Sub Gravity. The 3mm stainless only weights 3lbs 3oz more than the aluminum with a 26 lb wing, so if you need 8 lbs with your jacket BC then you will probably need some weight with either? You can always add wieght but you can't take off what you don't have. Another consideration is over weight baggage fees. I don't know if any of this helped or not?
That makes sense, i just wasn’t sure if the bcd was buoyant as well.

Related, I'm looking for BP/W that is comfortable with only a T-shirt / rash guard, without much extra bouyancy. Obviously a Freedom plate would be ideal, but if I can't get one of those, what else should I look at? Anyone dive the subgravity in a t-shirt? How about some other backplate pad?

I've worn a standard Halcyon plate with just a T-shirt, no problem.

Related, I'm looking for BP/W that is comfortable with only a T-shirt / rash guard, without much extra bouyancy. Obviously a Freedom plate would be ideal, but if I can't get one of those, what else should I look at? Anyone dive the subgravity in a t-shirt? How about some other backplate pad?
You can add "padding" to make it more 'comfortable' but you will need extra weight to compensate for it.
Unless you are going to walk with the full kit for a fair distance otherwise no need.
You won't notice it underwater.

The Sub Gravity BP/W comes with a backplate "cover". It is not a pad, it's a piece of the same material as the wing that attaches to the inside of the plate. If you check the link I posted, it tells you everything that is included with their single tank package.

The XDeep Ghost would be fine in a T shirt....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom