BP/W and tanks for a very small woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post, and I'm looking for advice on choosing a backplate and wing. I'm pretty small, even for a woman (5'1", 100 lbs) and don't know if size is of any issue. For example, it's been mentioned that I might need to have one custom made, but I thought that might be a bit excessive. I like the idea of the SS plate because if the neg buoy, but I don't know yet what tanks I'll end up buying. Would the SS plate paired w/ steel tanks be too much weight?

Any words of advice on tanks would be welcome, too...

I have really low air consumption, and most of the diving available around here involves a small to fair amount of walking, so I'd rather get tanks that fit my size and air rate than those of my jolly green giant of a dive buddy. I'm not a fan of schlepping 50-60 lbs of tank and weights (more than 1/2 my body weight) for over a mile. Mind you it's not always that far, but last weekend has STILL got me slathering theragesic on my legs...

Thanks

Check out Tobin at Deap Sea Supply. He has a range of SS plate sizes. Below is a description of his smallest plate. Also, I'd look into a steel 80 or even maybe a 72.

Pro-Fit Stainless Steel BackPlate, small

Precision Waterjet cut from heavy 11 gauge (.118” thick) 300 Series Stainless Steel. Small size fits divers under 5 ft. 3 in. tall. 3.8 lbs.

DSS back plate features angled harness slots and a much flatter profile than other plates. This results in greater comfort and a lower profile when used with a single tank.

Single tank cam strap slots are located to avoid interference with harness webbing.

Large diameter holes located near the plate edge permits easy attachment of clip on accessories. This not possible with stamped plates.

Yeah, I think Tobin will be able to help you with this one. He has a much better selection of plate sizes than what you can get from the big manufacturers.

As for tanks, have you tried diving a steel high pressure 80? They are about the size of an Aluminum 63, but much more gas, and also negative. Up here in Canada where you're always wearing a lot of exposure protection, we have tons of women that dive the HP80's and love them.

Hi all,

This is my first post, and I'm looking for advice on choosing a backplate and wing. I'm pretty small, even for a woman (5'1", 100 lbs) and don't know if size is of any issue. For example, it's been mentioned that I might need to have one custom made, but I thought that might be a bit excessive. I like the idea of the SS plate because if the neg buoy, but I don't know yet what tanks I'll end up buying. Would the SS plate paired w/ steel tanks be too much weight?

Any words of advice on tanks would be welcome, too...

I have really low air consumption, and most of the diving available around here involves a small to fair amount of walking, so I'd rather get tanks that fit my size and air rate than those of my jolly green giant of a dive buddy. I'm not a fan of schlepping 50-60 lbs of tank and weights (more than 1/2 my body weight) for over a mile. Mind you it's not always that far, but last weekend has STILL got me slathering theragesic on my legs...

Thanks

At 5'1" you do need a small plate. Whether or no a SS plate is appropriate depends on your selection of tanks, and how buoyant your exposure suit is.

When you dive now:
What are you using for a BC?
What are you using for a tank?
How much ballast are you using?

Switching to a BP&W can reduce the amount of weight you carry from the car to the water simply because most jacket BC's are inherently positive, you are carrying weight just to sink the BC, often 2-4 lbs. BP&W's are not inherently buoyant.

In addition if you are currently using al80's switching to a negative steel tank will also reduce the weight you need to carry across the parking lot.

Look at a typical al 80, full of gas they weigh about 40 lbs, but are +4 lbs empty. To match the buoyancy characteristics of a steel 85 you will need to carry 4 lbs more lbs of ballast.

A full LP 85 is also about 40 lbs, but it's near neutral empty, so you need 4 lbs less lead than with an al80.

Tobin

Lifeisafreefall, can you tell us where you're doing most of your diving? It makes a difference as to what plate and what tanks you need.

The biggest advantage, in my book (as a fairly small woman, 5'4 and 120 but very small framed) of a BP/W, is the infinite adjustability. You CAN get a custom fit, without paying any kind of custom prices, and it's easy. It's SO much nicer to dive when your tank isn't trying to do an end run around you . . .

Let us know whether you are diving warm or cold water, and we can give you a whole bunch more advice about tanks, plate choice, etc. Or you could just call Tobin, who will sort you out. That's the best thing about DSS, is the customer service. Tobin refused to sell my best friend a plate when she called . . . UNTIL she had gone and gathered the data he needed to make sure she was buying the stuff that was right for HER.

I'm 5'1" and I got the small SS plate from DSS. It fits really well. I dive a single AL tank.

Also, it comes in PINK! (Well, not the plate, but the wing)

DSS also has plate weights. Take a look at their website.

FredT and Oxycheq both offer smaller plates. Halcyon has just introduced a smaller plate. There are lots of options for smaller plates these days:). As for tanks for the vertically challenged, I highly recommed Faber LP65/OMS LP66 if you can find them. I have two that I use as singles in the pool and two sets doubled for rec limit boat dives. These are about the same size as HP80s but are lighter and have better bouyancy characteristics.

Jackie

Lifeisafreefall, can you tell us where you're doing most of your diving? It makes a difference as to what plate and what tanks you need.

The biggest advantage, in my book (as a fairly small woman, 5'4 and 120 but very small framed) of a BP/W, is the infinite adjustability. You CAN get a custom fit, without paying any kind of custom prices, and it's easy. It's SO much nicer to dive when your tank isn't trying to do an end run around you . . .

Let us know whether you are diving warm or cold water, and we can give you a whole bunch more advice about tanks, plate choice, etc. Or you could just call Tobin, who will sort you out. That's the best thing about DSS, is the customer service. Tobin refused to sell my best friend a plate when she called . . . UNTIL she had gone and gathered the data he needed to make sure she was buying the stuff that was right for HER.
I mostly dive Texas lakes. In terms of water temp, they're pretty average lake temps, but just looking at water below 88* turns me blue, so I wear a 7mm Waterproof pretty much year round. I do get some laughs for it though, haha.

If you're diving a 7 mil suit, my guess is that you're currently carrying somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 lbs of lead, is that right? In which case you'd be fine with a SS plate and steel tanks, even the very negative Fabers. You just have to make sure your wing has enough lift for the negative stuff you're diving.

I mostly dive Texas lakes. In terms of water temp, they're pretty average lake temps, but just looking at water below 88* turns me blue, so I wear a 7mm Waterproof pretty much year round. I do get some laughs for it though, haha.

If you provide me with the following information:

What tank you are currently using

What type of BC you are currently using (I don't need a model, just "jacket" etc.)

How much total lead you currently use.

I can make a recommendation about wing capacity.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom