Trip Report Boynton Never Disappoints

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trailboss123

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone who follows my reports on this forum knows that I have a strong affinity for Florida diving. I have dived all over SE Asia, the Red Sea, Channel Islands of California, the Pacific Northwest, the Socorros, the South Pacific and the entire Caribbean.

After a 2 year hiatus, I have come back to Florida, and Boynton Beach specifically, for 4 days of diving, following a business trip in the Fort Lauderdale area.

BIG WOW! I know things are fickle and you can never predict, but I had an amazing time of diving on the Scubatyme boat out of Boynton Beach Marina over the last 4 days. We had immaculate conditions. The seas were dead flat, like a lake without wind. Water temps were 85-86 degrees. Visibility was mostly a beautiful blue and 60 feet.

I have just finished up 2 weeks and 40+ dives in Bonaire a couple of weeks prior to arriving here.
Yet, the first drop last Thursday on Black Condo brought a huge smile to my face. A massive giant barracuda greeted me upon descent and after that, it was just blissful slow drift diving on the west side of the reef encountering everything you would see in the rest of the Caribbean, but in more abundance and so colurful.

I will try to not wax too poetic, but here is the bottom line:
In 4 days of diving out of Boynton, I was up close and personal with the following:
2 dolphins circling us this morning on the safety stop at Horseshoe Reef. 2 massive Spotted Eagle Rays on the safety stop circling us Friday at Cathedral. A bull shark, a lemon shark, a nurse shark, multiple goliath groupers, schooling grunts and spadefish. Too many spotted drums and high hats to remember. French Angelfish the size of hubcaps. I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

Bottom line is that Florida diving out of Boynton and West Palm is the most underrated in the broader US dive travel industry, in my humble opinion. I know it is seasonal, but the seasons bring all of their wonderful uniqueness. I meet so many dive traveling Americans all over the world who have no idea how great the diving is here and have never heard of it or considered it. Shocking!

Anyway. It has been a nice trip and I am headed back home to the Pacific Northwest tomorrow.

Special shoutout to @scubadada who knows these reefs so well and is such a great contributor to this forum. I got to dive today with Captain Alex on Scubatyme and he sends you his warmest regards, Craig!
As always, he put us on spot on the reefs and told us what to expect. Good Times!

Bottom line is that Florida diving out of Boynton and West Palm is the most underrated in the broader US dive travel industry, in my humble opinion.
Because of the gulf stream,,, we get ALOT of seasonal changes in wildlife transiting thru our waters. That's why you never know what to expect on a dive. Great writeup on your dive trip here !!

Great review, I almost want to keep it a secret. Scubatyme is my backup plan, but I like Starfish since Chris is the owner/operator and has a lot of passion for Boynton. They have a great set of folks on the boat.

Boynton has extremely healthy reefs and great topography, I believe they are the best in south Florida. I really enjoy the back side which has great rolling hills of soft coral and nice cutouts where you can find interesting animals. Another treat is getting to Delray which is quite far from either inlet, but several of the boats will occasionally go there from Boynton. Those reefs are also pristine and beautiful. With the flow that this area gets from the gulf stream it keeps things interesting.

2 weeks ago, there was a manta all day on the Castor over there (). I've seen sawfish, guitarfish, and other interesting creatures in Boynton before. The castor is the best wreck to see Goliath grouper on year round, there are usually at least 12 on it. During the aggregation I have seen up to 50-60. Last week there were about 20 when I went. I think the Castor is also a fun wreck to dive and one of my favorites in south Florida at 110' of depth.

I haven't traveled the world like yourself, but for those Carribean destinations I've been to, they've been disappointing compared to my backyard. As for seasons, we dive all year. :)

I've dived all over the world... I still enjoy some of the Caribbean, but generally have to go off the beaten path (ex : Cayos Cochinos, Dominica) but Cozumel has some amazing diving. Otherwise, I agree.

Shhhhhh! Don’t let the world in on our little secret!

Palm Beach diving is world class. It’s the reason I spent my life savings and then some to move down here 4 years ago. Never regretted a minute of it.
Wonderful year around diving for sure. You made a great choice!

Wow @Trailboss123 you really hit the jackpot in Boynton. You never know what you're going to see. In nearly 1000 dives since 2009, I've seen great hammerheads, sailfish, dolphins, mantas, eagle rays, and many, many goliath grouper, lemon sharks, bull sharks, turtles, morays... When there's nothing special, there are what I call all the usual reef fish. I've not seen a sawfish, a whale shark, or a great white, yet.

The diving in Palm Beach County is not particularly well known. One of the reasons is probably the unpredictable sea conditions in later fall, winter, and earlier spring. The Blue Heron Bridge is an exception and has been featured in most of the scuba diving publications. The secret is out to anyone who reads the Florida forum on SB.

I'm sorry I missed you on your recent visit. I'll be back down and diving at the end of the month :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom