Boy Scouts Scuba Award

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is so cool. I am looking into the same type of thing here. I do not know a lot about the boy scouts but I am a PADI Instructor and I love working with kids. I am hopfully going to an Aquatics Directors Camp in May. Clay

I am committee chair of our local boy scout troop and my son is a life scout. Totally independant of boy scouts he and I are in the process of becoming certified scuba divers. (We just finished pool/classroom session and are going with out local dive shop trip to the Bahamas in May to do our open water dives.)
Is he eligible for the Scuba BSA award, or does it have to be done in conjunction with a scouting event? I have asked several people around here and no one can answer this question.

jeepone:
I am committee chair of our local boy scout troop and my son is a life scout. Totally independant of boy scouts he and I are in the process of becoming certified scuba divers. (We just finished pool/classroom session and are going with out local dive shop trip to the Bahamas in May to do our open water dives.)
Is he eligible for the Scuba BSA award, or does it have to be done in conjunction with a scouting event? I have asked several people around here and no one can answer this question.

Does an scuba agency certification alone qualify you for the award? It doesn't seem so. The BSA Scuba Award has it's own set of requirements.

However, it seems that many of the requirements of the scuba-award would be met in the course of normal certification. But to obtain the award, you will need to meet the requirements of the award. I would suggest that you obtain your agency certification first so that trying to obtain the badge doesn't interfer with any of the material presented as part of the certification. After the agency certification is complete, then you can review the requirement of the scuba badge and determine which have been completed and then complete any needed requirements.

It appears that this doesn't have to be in conjuction with a scouting event as long as the instructor requirements are met.

for more information, see http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/award/award-968.asp

Here is one statement from these rule on the requirements as having an agency certification does not alone qualify for the award.
Although Scuba BSA is similar to introductory scuba experiences offered by various RSTC member organizations, those programs are not substitutes for Scuba BSA. All requirements must be completed as stated on the application form

Hope that all helps.

Being a BSA Aquatics Instructor and Scuba instructor I would say that as long as the certification is done while active in scouts and it meets the same requirements as Scuba BSA, then he is eligible as are you. You don't have to be a youth to receive the award.

I got that badge almost as soon as it came out. When i got certified, my whole troop did it together and went to mexico for our cert. trip (we were diving as a troop before the BSA recognized it as a sport!)

I have had several Dive Shops order custom designed patches from me at “Dive Patches International”. Even they are not a patch that may not be recognized by the BSA. They are able to have a keep sake from the dive shop that they had their adventure with diving. American Pro in Crystal River Fla , placed an order with me for a custom manatee patch that they offer the Boy Scouts and another design for Girl Scouts.
Hope that helps!

When you went through your OW course you fulfilled the rquirements for the award. You should be able to get the instructor the certed you to fill out the paperwork for it. It doesn't have to be in conjunction with a BSA event either but some events do offer it (NOAC and Jambo)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom