Boy Scouts Scuba Award

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgvmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How many of the Boy Scouts on here have access to the SCUBA award http://www.meritbadge.com/awd/scuba.htm

We have not been able to find any shops that will participate as a counselor this and I am stil new at diving so I am not qualified.

There is no merit badge for scuba it is a patch you can received. There is information and your local councel office should have info on it.

I agree it is an award not a merit badge, but the requirements are for a certified instructor to be the counselor for the award. When I asked I was told the Northern NJ Council currently has none registered.

and make it happen. Sign them up.

( Sorry, I let my District Commissioner side out :D )

Or go to NOAC... Scuba BSA is offered at NOAC (National Order of the Arrow Conference). Last time (2004) they had a special version of the Scuba BSA patch too.

According to the official specifics of Scuba BSA, the person holding the course is recommended to be someone outside of BSA. It does not have to be a person normally designated as a merit badge counselor. You can go to a local dive shop and have an instructor carry out the program for you.

NatureDiver:
According to the official specifics of Scuba BSA, the person holding the course is recommended to be someone outside of BSA. It does not have to be a person normally designated as a merit badge counselor. You can go to a local dive shop and have an instructor carry out the program for you.

This is just a way for BSA to remove liability from themselves is to have someone else teach it.

I took a group of scouts down to Laguna Station on South Padre Island this past summer; about 6 of them got scuba certified before we went. The paperwork to get the scuba award is fairly simple -- anyone getting their OW certification would be eligible. I had their instructor sign off on it.

I was a counselor for that badge years ago when my son was in scouting. The boys took instruction at a local shop in the Atlanta area. I am a Divemaster (PADI) and helped out in the pool. Then they all got their letters and went down to Florida SeaBase to do their check out dives. The next year I took them back and they did AOL.

Those were some fun years !!

'Slogger

I took a large group of scouts to SeaBase in florida from kentucky and it was a fantastic time for me and the Boys we did the check out dives in quarry.Then we went to camp and great program lots of diving each day and fun for all Strongly recomend it to all....
All local shops should be happy to help with scouting... If in Hawaii I am more than Happy to HELP...Aloha Mark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom