Box Jellyfish - be careful out there!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
The Box Jellyfish are here. They even closed Hanuama Bay.

Honolulu Advertiser:
No one was stung this morning but lifeguards counted more than 20 box jellyfish on the beach and "countless more in the water" during low tide, Cheplic said.

Video Report here

Smarty pants :wink:.....lol

any trip over here in your near future? (in the news today they said the wedding industry is down - you might get a killer deal :wink: )

Hey! Thanks for that video report link! I watched the KHON report and saw my friend! I never knew he was the Lifeguard Captain. Cool.

I was wearing my wetsuit for work this week (instead of my usual trunks and T-shirt) ... just in case as it was a week after full moon... but I found getting sick and staying in bed works even better for avoiding them - lol

Thx for the warning Lisa

Aloha, Tim

I had thought that Hawaii's variety was one of the less potent kind -- that they'd give you a nasty red mark but won't kill you like the Australian sort will...

yup - that's what I've been told as well - still not a good thing however :) they had nearly 800 of them wash up on Waikiki Beach yesterday the news said last night.

Code Monkey:
I had thought that Hawaii's variety was one of the less potent kind -- that they'd give you a nasty red mark but won't kill you like the Australian sort will...

That's one guessing game I'd rather not play....LOL :laughing:

Imagine...800 on the beach - how many must there be in the water? getting stung by one hurts - but with those odds I doubt it would be only one sting, OUCH!

Welcome Chris :wink:

kidspot:
I was wearing my wetsuit for work this week (instead of my usual trunks and T-shirt) ... just in case as it was a week after full moon... Thx for the warning Lisa
yeah.. i dove lanai lookout friday after work.. and just after passing the hanauma bay parking lot which had WARNING signs: "beach closed due to jelly fish"..
i decided to wear my full hood too :batman:

but this would've worked even better :scubahelmet:

Back
Top Bottom