Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have experience with or thoughts on the AP Diving OCB (Open Circuit Bailout Mouthpiece, I have no idea why they choose not to call it a BOV..) relative to Divesoft/Shrimp?
(My understanding is AP Diving is unfortunately theoretically pretty diligent about only selling parts to divers certified on their units, but I couldn't help but notice a brand new OCB in UK is currently only £619.23, and an online manual makes servicing look very straightforward along with it seemingly being a great design...)

BOV SHRIMP - INSPO/EVO, clamped | DIR-SHOP diving systems Will have to figure duties, but they’re not too dissimilarly priced. I don’t have enough hours on a Inspo to draw comparisons to the Shrimp unfort.

Does anyone have experience with or thoughts on the AP Diving OCB (Open Circuit Bailout Mouthpiece, I have no idea why they choose not to call it a BOV..) relative to Divesoft/Shrimp?
(My understanding is AP Diving is unfortunately theoretically pretty diligent about only selling parts to divers certified on their units, but I couldn't help but notice a brand new OCB in UK is currently only £619.23, and an online manual makes servicing look very straightforward along with it seemingly being a great design...)
It is a nice breathing and reliable unit that is freaking massive. If the size doesn't bother you, there isn't any real downside to it.

If I was shopping for one, i'd be looking at the Divesoft version. I really like they have a hard mounting system for a Nerd. I hate that stupid little clip thing they use by default.

If I was shopping for one, i'd be looking at the Divesoft version. I really like they have a hard mounting system for a Nerd. I hate that stupid little clip thing they use by default.
I upgraded that "stupid little clip" to a few hair ties pretty quickly, and they haven't been a bother so far (but I have not tested that cheap setup in high currents or using a DPV..).
I've been debating potential BOV options ever since first diving my Triton, (in DSV/BOV personal debate, nothing at all wrong with their DSV...) and the "best" options I'm leaning towards are still in my mind a bit of a tossup between Divesoft/Golem/AP OSB but one supplemental factor is I'm thinking I will choose BOV most compatible with Kirby M-48 Mod 1 as an additional wrinkle in matrix of important decision making factors (primarily for reliable comms, but also seems like additional safety benefit for both hypoxia and hypercapnia extremely disproportionate to it's cost (personal mantra being the smallest kit of the best gear to achieve all goals). Any additional thoughts on if that were a consideration?
(And I don't like Prism BOV freeflow reputation...)

Question for the shrimp DSV users. How comfortable/light do you find it? How easy is it to service the ball valve? How reliable are the bayonets? Is there any risk of them falling apart on you while diving?

Question for the shrimp DSV users. How comfortable/light do you find it? How easy is it to service the ball valve? How reliable are the bayonets? Is there any risk of them falling apart on you while diving?

How comfortable/light do you find it?
It's as comfortable as anything. Not really different from a smaller DSV. The real way to make the loop more comfortable is to add a seacure mouthpiece and weight/foam on the hoses as needed to make them float level and neutral. Gagstrap too.

How easy is it to service the ball valve?
"medium". You can get it pulled apart, greased, and back together in a few minutes, but there is a mildly tricky retaining clip that you have to put in just right. Maybe not trust-anyone-to-do-it-easy but anybody diving a CCR should be able to handle it. The first time you do it should be with an experienced technician who can show you how. After that it's no big deal.

How reliable are the bayonets? Is there any risk of them falling apart on you while diving?
It's not always apparent in pictures but they have a spring loaded locking button that clicks the bayonet place to prevent it from opening unintentionally. So as far as I know, very very reliable. Never seen that issue and most of my team dives them.

How comfortable/light do you find it?
It's as comfortable as anything. Not really different from a smaller DSV. The real way to make the loop more comfortable is to add a seacure mouthpiece and weight/foam on the hoses as needed to make them float level and neutral. Gagstrap too.

How easy is it to service the ball valve?
"medium". You can get it pulled apart, greased, and back together in a few minutes, but there is a mildly tricky retaining clip that you have to put in just right. Maybe not trust-anyone-to-do-it-easy but anybody diving a CCR should be able to handle it. The first time you do it should be with an experienced technician who can show you how. After that it's no big deal.

How reliable are the bayonets? Is there any risk of them falling apart on you while diving?
It's not always apparent in pictures but they have a spring loaded locking button that clicks the bayonet place to prevent it from opening unintentionally. So as far as I know, very very reliable. Never seen that issue and most of my team dives them.
Thanks that is super helpful! How often do you need to grease the ball valve? For my rEvo and dive soft DSVs I have found they start to get tight after about 20 hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom