Bought Used steel tank (?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought 3 used tanks. Two are aluminum (63 and 80). I figured them out with no problem. But I don't know about the steel tank. The markings have me stumped.
On one side is stamped:
DOT-3AA 2400 1-98+
iA 627009 R(?)(Funny looking 'R', it's wide)

The other side is marked:
TC-3AA M184
11A98 REE 80.3

Anyone have an idea about this tank?
Thanks for any help,
Steve

Low pressrue steel tank, 2400 psi working pressure, used to have a 10% overfill allowance (the + after 98). Get it hydro'd and dive it.

Is the "R" actually a wide "P" with a small ST under the loop?

When you go for the hydro make it clear that you are seeking the + rating (if it qualifies) With the REE number on the cylinder it's an easy extra calculation for them and it gives you new cylinder capacity.

Pete

The DOT 3AA marking just means it is approved by the Deptartment of Transportation under the 3AA certification standard for steel tanks

2400 indicates the service pressure. The 1-98+ seems to indicate an initial hydro test date but the "-" should be either a stylized manufacturer code or a small code with 1 letter and 3 numbers in a square 2 over 2 layout. The "+" means it is approved for a 10% overfill to 2640 psi.

On the other side the TC 3AA marking means much the same thing but spoken in Canadian where the TC stands for Transportaion Canada. The 11A98 is the initial hydro test code with the stylized A being the manufacturer code.

The oddity is that the initial hydro test dates on each side do not match.

The most important pieces of information you need are the capacity of the tank and bouyancy traits.

If you measure the diameter (measure around the middle of the tank and divide by 3.14) and measure the lenght (the linear distance from the bottom of the tank to the base of the valve) I can tell you what size a steel tank and give you the bouyancy charachteristics

I bet there is another 1 in the other hydro test that is hard to see and that both are 11/98

Serial number:
iA 627009 R(?)(Funny looking 'R', it's wide)

Manufacturer ID (though I think a number is missing here as IIFC there should be 4 digits)

M184

The “M184” stands for: Metric, 184 Bar.
The 184 Bar is the same as 2669 psi (which is close enough to the 2640 psi working pressure after the 10% overfill).

My understanding is that in Canada they don’t use the 10% “+” stamping anymore (that the DOT uses). They just rate the exact same tank to the fixed working pressure equivalent to the 10% over filled used by the DOT.

I'm betting this is a PST LP104...just a guess based on the REE number.

Is the tank painted white? Or is it a mottled steel color? How tall is it?

DA Aquamaster,
The tanks diameter measures 8.12 and it's 24.5" tall (no boot).

SparticleBrane,
The tank looks galvanized and is 24 1/2" tall.

Thank you all for your help,
Steve

Maybe an LP95 then? (based on the height)

Back
Top Bottom