Bought my 1st reg, how'd I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Doty

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a total rookie diver. I got my open water about a year ago and have been on 1 dive since then. Money has been tight. But things are showing signs of improvement so I've been perusing ads hoping to start collecting gear and get in the water. I've already got fins, mask etc and am looking for the expensive stuff. I found an ad on Craigslist (I know) pawnshop (I know i know) "up to" 50% off all its scuba stuff.

I stopped in today hoping to find a decent bc that I could afford , I actually found 2 that looked new (axiom si and a zeegle stilleto) were the right size and I started working them down to $200, didn't quite get there and had to leave for an appointment. Told the guy I'd be back after, got the "yeah sure" and left.

So went back and decided to peruse their pile of regulators, which looked like an old sherwood graveyard, dusty discolored and numerous . I don't know much but I know I've seen old sherwood everywhere so Im guessing they're inexpensive so ive ignored them entirely. Im not trying to be upity but i want gear that will last me a while so im not replacing it anytime soon. If I'm wrong let me know, I can show you a LOT of them :) But buried amongst the zombie sherwood horde I see something shiny (I like shiny), bright blue hoses (I like blue) and most importantly doesn't look like it was lost in the desert for the last 50 years.

So pulled it out and saw it's a scubapro, so it's the brand my instructor recommended and I know I can get it serviced locally. Beyond that, I'm clueless. The sales tag just read "misc regulator, blue", but it's a s600/mk25. I google it, saw the sales price on them and promptly peed on it so as to mark it as my property. Pawnshops and stray dogs follow similar rules in my experience and when in rome... It has a couple scratches on the 2nd, doesnt look brand new up close but does from 10 feet. It has braided blue line covers and also has a uwatec transmitter, which took me a few minutes to figure out what it was.

The reviews seem positive (yay) I just don't know what they go for used. I'm pretty sure I got a deal though. The guy i was working on earlier wasnt there so my bc went from 250 to 325 and the kid wouldnt budge. Im still bc-less but I was reg'd up and out the door for $100. I'll spend a bit more getting it checked out at the dive shop but I dont think it will be too much.

So deal, good deal, or smoking deal?

Depends entirely on what happens when you get it serviced. I've been diving a Mk25/S600 that I bought new in 2008 I think; It is in fact a really good regulator. Have both the first and second stages serviced by someone really competent; when you have the bill from that you can figure out how well you did.

Any way you look at it, its a good deal! Congrats. (BTW, I spit on my ipad when I read you peed)

yes...definately a good deal. I just bought two MK25 EVO/s600 combinations for 350 and 415 used but in like new condition and freshly serviced.

As far as a bcd is concerned, this Halcyon rig in Tampa looks to be a good deal. I'd own it...but I really don't need a third BPW setup. With Halcyon and Scubapro, you'd be set with some of the best (and most expensive) equipment money can buy. I don't know the seller, it just looked like a good deal, especially for tropical diving.
For Sale - Halcyon Backplate/wing

Good luck,
Jay

I don't dig scubapro equipment, but I hope it works out for you… As far as the BC, you can buy brand new weight integrated BCs for 200-250. In order to properly buy a used BC, you need to be able to power inflate it to max capacity to test the bag. I have seen them pop and repairing the bags is not a good idea in my opinion as the next weakest point will tend to pop on the next test.

After googling the titanium bits and seeing what they sell for, that would have been a really awesome find. I'm pretty sure these are the regular bits though. Still if folks say it was a heck of a deal, I'm still happy. Hopefully I remain that way after it gets to the shop for an inspect/rebuild. I'll still need to get a computer/gauge setup to swap with the wireless until I can afford wrist unit that will work with it

I'm trying to upload a pic here, bear with me. Every forum I use has different ways to make it happen since photobucket decided to go all blackmail like.

20180118_120450.204705

20180118_120450

In my limited experience I've only used jacket style BC's, I'm even further in the dark with a wing and plate setup. I did see one yesterday that I'm guessing is a hybrid. It looked like a jacket but with what looked like wings on the backside that pushed out a foot or so. I didn't look too long at it, not sure what make/model it was.

One of the guys in my sons cubscout den wants to take me out and has loaner gear, I believe he does nothing but wings and has been doing it for ages. We keep talking about going out but it just hasn't happened yet. I've been kind of waiting until I had my own setup, but I might have to swallow some pride and explore the options a bit.

I've never heard of halcyon, but again, total rookie here. I have 0 plans of doing any cave diving or anything more technical than chasing pictures, lobster and lionfish. I'd like to do some inside of wrecks eventually but the thought of squeezing through a hole for a cave dive is way off my radar.

Service should run around $50 per stage (1st, 2nd, octo).

Shameless plug - I have some gauges and consoles for sale here on the forum. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

depending on which uwatec transmitter it is, it may not be worth trying to fix up for use. the older ones that were oil filled are particularly problematic

That was a great deal until you went and peed on it. Your buddy's really gonna hate you when you have to share air! It does sound like you got a great deal, even if you have to do a total overhaul, you should be in good shape compared to buying new.

Back
Top Bottom