Bought a Seasoft dry suit and it leaks big time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@SBDeadly , maybe you should invite Bruce to Visit and take a pool check out dive with you and your megabucks suit. Only way he’ll finally figure out where the leak is.

@Bubblesong I'd do that. I live about an hour from Monterrey, CA so we could go for a real dive. I don't remember where SeaSoft is located but it's in a different state.

@Bubblesong I'd do that. I live about an hour from Monterrey, CA so we could go for a real dive. I don't remember where SeaSoft is located but it's in a different state.
I wonder if your suit would fit Bruce, or someone at the business, and he would agree to take it on a test dive, videotape himself, and post it on SCUBABOARD? Not a pool dive, a hearty ocean dive. Your description of the seasoft fit is sooo tempting, but this needs to be resolved!

Sounds like a zipper issue, an erratic one, OK sometimes, maybe not others.

Assuming you have the Ti coil plastic zipper those need to be well lubed regularly with silicone grease (I do EVERY outing), zipped carefully making sure there are no gaps, and the end needs to have a solid tug to make SURE it's closed. You get water down the arm where the closure end is immediately into the dive, you haven't closed it properly. It would be worthwhile to inflate the suit a bit, dunk the zipper underwater, and make sure there are no bubbles. You can unzip, and try again. Generally it will work.

Some of these zippers can be funky. Good ones just work. Bad ones give you grief all the time. The one that is somewhere in between can be difficult because it will work a bunch, then might not. Gapping and improper end closure are the common problems. Unfortunately you have to train buddies that may only be used to brass or the plastic zipper with teeth. Inadequate lube is not a good idea with these zippers.

You may be able to wear a cotton T-shirt that shows when it's wet to help locate specific troublesome areas. I use an old gray one. Best way is plugging the holes, crank down (even reverse) the exhaust valve, pump it up until it's quite firm, and spray with soapy water. Have a camera, maybe a ruler also to record exactly where the leaks are. It's a pain but take less time than boxing it up and sending it back.

It's actually a seam issue. When I first got the suit the seams were all f'ed up. When I originally sent it back to SeaSoft, Bruce agreed the seams were not up to snuff and repaired them. When I got the suit back a second time, it looked much better.
But there's still an issue with the seam around the zipper. The zipper zips closed on my left shoulder but the leak is on my right shoulder.
I watched my local dive shop dunk it and sure enough, no leaks appeared. I think it's a tiny leak. I suspect wearing my BCD stretches the area which exposes the leak when I dive. I've entered the water with no other gear and I stayed dry.

I did learn some useful things from this experience:
1. Neoprene neck and wrist seals are AWESOME. Very comfortable but do take some time to get used to.
2. Paying extra for a knife pocket is totally pointless
3. Buy locally in case there's a problem

I have a difficult time believing I'm on Seasoft's spam list. But they're having a sale if you feel like taking your chances

Buy any product worth $25 or more by Dec. 19, 2018 at 3 PM PST at www.seasoftscuba.com and we will send with your order the following:

1. ONE SEAVUE 2 oz. Anti-fog Spray ($7.99)

2. ONE Lemon GrenAIDE 8 oz. Enzymatic Shampoo & Deodorizer ($7.99)

3. 100% Cotton T-Shirt in black with SEASOFT Logo in front & Giant Dive Flag in back, email your size to info@seasoftscuba.com ($19.99)

4. A coupon worth 25% OFF any single SEASOFT product on a future order (even includes drysuits).

Value: At LEAST $35.97!

EXTRA: Order at least $100 and we give you an EXTRA T-shirt to give to someone ELSE! These are not cheesy shirts, they are really extremely nice T-shirts!

ONE ORDER PER CUSTOMER! We will ship all orders by PRIORITY POST if at all possible for quick delivery!

You don't have to do anything by the way - all orders from NOW until Dec. 19th, at 3 PM PST will automatically have these products added to your ORDER with no extra freight added. If we do not have an email from you for T-shirt Size we will send a SIZE LARGE or XL. Happy Holidays to you and your family and friends! SEASOFT SCUBA

I put you on that list on purpose because I believe that we do make great products and I don't believe people take their "chances" when they order from us. I will put my money where my mouth is Angel Fish. You go to our site, pick any number of products up to $200. Call me tomorrow at 253 939-5510 and I will send them to you. If they disappoint you, you can come on here and tell the world they suck. If they don't then you can say so or remain silent, your call. $200 - your pick, any product or products you choose. I look forward to the challenge!

Bruce
SEASOFT SCUBA

Back
Top Bottom