Bought a Scubapro Crystalvu with purge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nilzlofgren

Reaction score
# of dives
I went down to the dive shop today, to buy a mask. My other mask has a problem where the strap attaches to the mask. I spent the better part of an hour, trying on all different masks. I finally narrowed it down to two masks, the Scubapro, and a Tusa. The Tusa did not have a purge valve. I asked the guy about the purge valve, and he said his dive masks have always had purge valves. He did say that the only issues he ever had with the valve, was that after so many years, he had to replace the diaphragm. He also said that if I had any problems, I could exchange it for another mask, and could keep doing so, until I find the right one.

I bought a Scubapro Crystalvu with purge, and I liked it so much that when it broke (user error), I bought another one. When THAT one broke, I bought a different mask. I still like the Scubapro Crystalvu, but putting the bonded lenses in was getting expensive, so I bought a mask that had prescription lenses built in.

I hope you like your new mask, it's a good one.

I have both masks with purge valves and without, I only used the one with the purge valve once and for me it was uncomfortable,I think my nose is too big or something,plus I have a mustache like a walrus and I couldnt get the one with the purge to stop leaking, The ones without the purge I dont have a problem with leaking or seeping..

We have a spring dive that requires swimming straight down 60 feet against a flow. That purge valve is handy, as that's the part of a dive where the mask might let in a little water, and it will flow to the tip of the nose.

The Crystal Vu was a good fit. It broke where the mask frame meets a buckle, after being dropped onto a padded carpeted floor. The dealer told me there is only 30 day warranty on Scubapro masks. If you get one, make sure you keep it in the box. You read that the nude fella had two of these break on him.

Replacement? The black Cressi-Sub Matrix mask. It fits me well enough that purging and clearing is not an issue.

That's a good dealer to let you bring a mask back. Many wouldn't do that. Good luck with it, and remember that the mask chooses the diver.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the insight about the mask. I think the reason that the dealer is so accommodating, is because I am taking my dive lessons through them, and, I have been buying my gear through them.

If you break the mask frame--as I did. Had it on backwards over my hood and forgot it was there. Flipped it through the air when I took off the hood and it hit a pile of rock. The lens was fine as was the skirt. The frame as broken in a couple of spots.

I got a tube of super glue and put it back together. Superglue melts as well as glue the plastic, so it is like it is welded back together. I purchased a new mask as a back up, but dive the superglue crystal vu most of the time.

I have a Crystalvue without the purge. Nice masks. I don't dive it any more since I found a mask that fits me a bit better (I'm REAL hard to fit when it comes to masks). I've mostly had masks without purge valves but think it's really more a matter of personal preferance than anything.

You read that the nude fella had two of these break on him.
I just wanted to be clear that it was user error - the mask was completely shattered both times. I think the dive shop dropped tanks on my bag while it was in transit. Had I had the mask in its box, rather than in a padded mask case, it probably would have been fine.

Ouch. Two of them. So sorry. That's Murphy's Law of Selective Gravity. A falling object always lands where it does the most damage.

I got to use the mask for the first time last night. It leaked a little, but not to bad. Its great that I can just blow the water out the purge. Its a little weird getting used to the side windows though. I can see my buddy beside me, but as I turn to look at him, he disappears from view, than reappears again into view. Kinda weird, but I can get used to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom