Bought a Dive Watch....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
So I bought a Casio SPW1000-2V thinking it was the next best thing....then i'm going through the manual and there I see it..."This watch is not intended for SCUBA diving." I about hit the roof....so now that i've shelled out $170 for a watch that I was very excited about (it has a compass, depth guage, temp, and other assorted features) since I wouldn't have to buy a compass and some other accessories, what should I do? Is it acceptible to use in a diving setting up to 30-40m....after all, it is water 'resistant' for up to 100m, so it'd be covered under warranty....or should I return it, pay the 15% restock fee, buy a dive computer (VEO 100) and a compass and just learn my lesson.....I'm almost completely new to diving so I'm looking for any and all comments and/or suggestions. Thanks!

wackerfire- Several years ago when the computer prices became reasonable I wondered who would be buying dive watches. You can get a computer in the realm of $300 ~ $500 and a GOOD dive watch is the same price.

I think it will only be the crochety old timers who still dive with actual dive watches, depth gauges and computers just because we don't trust those new fangled contraptions.

The technical specs on the watch are:

· Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping
· Tough Solar Power
· Digital Compass
16 points of measurement
Measuring range: 0º to 359º
Measuring unit: 1º

· Barometer
Display range: 600 to 1,100 hPa (17.70 to 32.45 inHg)
Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
Atmospheric pressure tendency graph
Atmospheric pressure differential graphic
*Changeover between hPa and inHg

· Depth Gauge
Measuring Depth: 0 to 30 m (0 to 98 ft)
Elapsed time: 2:59'59"
Water Temperature: -10 to 60ºC (14 to 140ºF)
Display unit: 0.1 m (1 ft)
Submerged Time: Measured in 1-second increments

· Dive Memory (40 Records)
Measurement includes dive month and date, total time submerged, maximum depth, water temperature at maximum depth)
*Changeover between meters (m) and feet (ft)

· Thermometer
Display range: -10 to 60ºC (14 to 140ºF)
Display unit: 0.1ºC (0.2ºF)
*Changeover between Celsius ( ºC) and Fahrenheit (ºF)

· Low Temperature Resistant (-10ºC/14ºF)
· Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
· Duplex LCD Display
· World Time (29 time zones, 30 cities)
· 5 Daily Alarms
· Countdown Timer
Measuring unit: 1 second
Countdown range: 60 minutes
Countdown start time setting range: 1 to 60 minutes (1-minute increments)
Auto-repeat Function

· 1/100-second stopwatch
Measuring capacity: 9:59'59.99''
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times

· Hourly Time Signal
· Battery Power Indicator
· Power Saving Function
· Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
· 12/24 Hour Formats
· Accuracy: ±15 seconds per month
· Rechargeable Battery
· Module 3047

So I suspect that the disclaimer on the instruction sheet is just one of the "product warnings" that the lawyers insert.

That is one sweet watch....

It says "Not intended for Scuba diving", however it doesn't say "DO NOT USE FOR SCUBA" I reckon you'll be okay, I dive with a Casio G-SHOCK - just for the time and stopwatch, not as posh as yours - no leaks - nothing.

Chill, enjoy your watch :)

Wonder why they make the statement that "This watch is not intended for SCUBA diving."? Is it strictly for liability reasons, or is there something about the watch design or construction that makes it unsuitable? Maybe the depth or other readings are not accurate enough? If not, I'd say keep it and use it.

OTOH, if you intend to buy a computer eventually and money is tight it might make more sense to apply the $170.00 towards one now. I'm new to SCUBA, so take my opinion for what its worth (not much), but I am diving with a Suunto Gekko and a Timex Helix that gives me back up information on depth, temp, and dive time. The Helix is only rated for 50 meters so it may eventually flood or otherwise crap out, but I like having the redundant information available. Of course, I only have one third the cost of your Casio in the Helix.

Also, at the time I bought the Helix, I was using a Scan 4 console computer and I wanted to have a depth and temp reading on my wrist (the Scan 4 did not show temp). I am still wearing the Helix as a backup to the Gekko, along with a wrist mount compass (my dive buddy says I look like a watch salesman!).

That wording is strictly for liability reasons. They just don't want be be sued when someone dies using their watch as only depth guage. Cool watch, I say keep it.

WR 100 meter does not mean that the watch will go up to 100 meters.. only WR200 or higher watches are suitable for scuba... casio web site must have the table about that somewhere..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom