Bought a couple of steel 108s from Amazon.com this morning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florabama

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I got a $500 gift certificate from my employer for 25 years of employment. I was thrilled except that you could use it at just about any type store you can imagine except a Dive shop. I asked the people that manage the gift certificates for our company if they could add a local dive shop to the vendor list, but they would not.

When I noticed that Amazon was listed as a vendor, I took a look online and lo and behold, Amazon has Scuba gear now. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.htm...UTF8&node=3406281&no=3375251&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And, they had Faber steel tanks like I like. The prices are not that great -- I actually would have paid less for them in my dive shop because we spend so much money with them, they always give us at least a 10% discount.

Anyway, I ordered them today (if you can't go diving -- buying dive gear is the next best thing) and am excited about getting them.

Anyone use 108s? This will be my first experience with 108s. My son and I have been diving Faber LP steel 95s for years, but wanted to step up our capacity a little and possibly build a set of doubles with these.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that you can buy all sorts of dive gear on Amazon now. I would be careful about buying electronics through Leisure Pro (one of Amazons suppliers). They sell stuff that they are not factory authorized to sell and if you have a problem with it, it's real tough to get anything done about it.

......well, among my tank collection I have a LP 112 (Faber) and a PST HP E8-130......both tanks are essentially identical in diving characteristics/capacity, and I've been very happy diving them as singles....but they're way too heavy for me to double them up.......presently my doubles are LP 85's and LP 76's and I've been very happy with my 'petite' twinsets.......and I'm considering buying a PST E7-100 twinset in the near future.

Karl

Florabama:
I got a $500 gift certificate from my employer for 25 years of employment. I was thrilled except that you could use it at just about any type store you can imagine except a Dive shop. I asked the people that manage the gift certificates for our company if they could add a local dive shop to the vendor list, but they would not.

When I noticed that Amazon was listed as a vendor, I took a look online and lo and behold, Amazon has Scuba gear now. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.htm...UTF8&node=3406281&no=3375251&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And, they had Faber steel tanks like I like. The prices are not that great -- I actually would have paid less for them in my dive shop because we spend so much money with them, they always give us at least a 10% discount.

Anyway, I ordered them today (if you can't go diving -- buying dive gear is the next best thing) and am excited about getting them.

Anyone use 108s? This will be my first experience with 108s. My son and I have been diving Faber LP steel 95s for years, but wanted to step up our capacity a little and possibly build a set of doubles with these.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that you can buy all sorts of dive gear on Amazon now. I would be careful about buying electronics through Leisure Pro (one of Amazons suppliers). They sell stuff that they are not factory authorized to sell and if you have a problem with it, it's real tough to get anything done about it.

Whos is your LDS? and Why in the world are the LP108's $100 less than the LP95's on that site?

paulwall:
Whos is your LDS? and Why in the world are the LP108's $100 less than the LP95's on that site?

I don't know, but I thought the same thing. That's why I bought the 108s. There are several dive shops in Pcola, but I use MBT Divers. Here's their site.

http://www.mbtdivers.com/

I would have rather bought them from MBT but I didn't have a choice with this gift certificate. MBT is a great shop. They do a lot of deeper stuff and will fill Trimix and Nitrox. They are the only shop in town that does Tri.

scubafanatic:
......well, among my tank collection I have a LP 112 (Faber) and a PST HP E8-130......both tanks are essentially identical in diving characteristics/capacity, and I've been very happy diving them as singles....but they're way too heavy for me to double them up.......presently my doubles are LP 85's and LP 76's and I've been very happy with my 'petite' twinsets.......and I'm considering buying a PST E7-100 twinset in the near future.

Karl

I fell in love with steel tanks when I dove a couple of 95s as rentals. I then bought a couple and have been diving them for 6 or 7 years. Before that all I had was a bunch of different aluminum tanks. I even had some Al 100s that were murder to use. Not only were they heavier than steel, they were several pounds positively buoyant at the end of the dive. Now, besides a few Al 80s and a 65, I have a couple of old steel 72s, 95s and now the 108s. I'm looking forward to having a little more capacity on my first dive.

The Internet is a good place to buy some Items. I will buy at the local Dive center because I get advice and Service from them. Lots of Extras for the "little higher price". I get very, very good discounts for all my gear at Most of the Local Dive Center. The little extras could come as advice or a little extra Gear.
Remember to support the Local Dive Center as They will give plenty of "Extras" in addition a little fuller air fills. My 2 cents.............B

dilligaf368:
The Internet is a good place to buy some Items. I will buy at the local Dive center because I get advice and Service from them. Lots of Extras for the "little higher price". I get very, very good discounts for all my gear at Most of the Local Dive Center. The little extras could come as advice or a little extra Gear.
Remember to support the Local Dive Center as They will give plenty of "Extras" in addition a little fuller air fills. My 2 cents.............B

I agree completely. As I said in the original post, I would have even gotten them cheaper at the LDS. Unfortunately, I had no choice with this gift certificate. It was either buy something from stores like JC Penny or buy scuba gear at Amazon. What would you have done?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom