Bottom Timer$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serrada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anything wrong with using a Citizen Hyper Aqualand Dive Watch as a bottom timer?

I'm thinking of, in this order, uwatec bottom timer type, Citizen Hyper Aqualand Watch, (big jump $) Vyper / Uwatec Aladin Tec, D6/D9.

Was supposed to take DIR-F this month but my girlfriend broke her foot :( . But more time to purchase gear :).

My vote is on the BIG uwatec bottom timer, as you can easily see the nbrs under water. Tho, if you have the money the Vyper is a GREAT purchase for the future as you progress into rec Triox and tech 1

Good luck and if you find a spare UWTEC, I am looking for a used one.

G'luck,

T

Archangel:
Tho, if you have the money the Vyper is a GREAT purchase for the future as you progress into rec Triox and tech 1
Why do you think that Vyper have some advantages for triox or tech-1 level of diving?

I use the alladin tec in gauge mode as my primary and I keep an oms bt (also made by uwatec) stowed in my right pocket, both very reliable.

I use 2 Dive Rite Nitek Duo's in gage mode for deco/mixed gas diving,,,,work great.

serrada:
Anything wrong with using a Citizen Hyper Aqualand Dive Watch as a bottom timer?

I'm thinking of, in this order, uwatec bottom timer type, Citizen Hyper Aqualand Watch, (big jump $) Vyper / Uwatec Aladin Tec, D6/D9.

Was supposed to take DIR-F this month but my girlfriend broke her foot :( . But more time to purchase gear :).

The hyper aqualand is a bad choice as your bottom timer. Digits are small, battery doesn't last long, and battery replacement can be very expensive.

I and many others are currently using Uwatec Aladin Tec and am very happy with it. It was designed with input from DIR divers so the guage mode has some nice features. But, it is still too new to pass my reliability test. I used to be a big fan of the Suunto Vytec due to the ability to reset the timer (cheaper Uwatec Tec has this now), but after mine crapped out I can't recommend anything that expensive as a bottom timer since it isn't bullet proof.

The most bullet proof and tried and true is the simple Uwatec bottom timer. It is the cheapest and most reliable. I have one that is a decade old and still running strong. I have yet to have a computer used in gauge mode last half that long.

I use a Casio dive watch that functions similar to Citizen Hyper Aqualand dive watch. As many said, the digital numbers are pretty small. For this reason, I use it as a backup and use a Uwatec Aladin Tec for primary.

So you might want to do something similar...........your Citizen Hyper Aqualand dive watch as backup and get a bottom timer (or Aladin Tec or Suunto Vyper if you prefer) for your primary.

I used Citizen Hyper Aqualand digital dive watch as a backup bottom timer, I got no problem on it, I bought many years ago, but for realistic, you can consider Uwatec bottom timer.

Great advice. Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going to have to keep using my G-Shock and get a Uwatec Bottom Timer. I just don't like having the watch, compass and depth gauge on my arms. One is too many. I don't mind two items on each wrist, but I have trouble with one on my forearm (even with bungee).

serrada:
I just don't like having the watch, compass and depth gauge on my arms. One is too many. I don't mind two items on each wrist, but I have trouble with one on my forearm (even with bungee).
It's all about what you become accustomed to. Do 50 dives with the wrist-mounted instrumentation, and I guarantee you won't notice it after that. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom