Bottle Choices for Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh ok, everyone uses Catalina S80s and S40s over here.

That is probably an availability thing more than anything. That said, salt water makes the difference less significant and you also tend to not carry a bunch of them. In cave country where we are in fresh water and carrying a bundle of tanks, half a pound adds up quickly. The tank specs are all quoted in the salty stuff, so the tanks are all about a pound more negative/less positive in fresh water. In cave diving we are usually running up against our wing capacity to begin with so that half pound becomes significant *I am VERY well acquainted with the noise my wings OPV makes when I am ascending and it is full...*

That is probably an availability thing more than anything.
I think you're right, I can't find any Luxfers whereas every dive shop sells Cats.

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense :thumb:

I've never been dialed in enough to tell the difference between a Catalina and a Luxfer. I bet most of us can't tell the difference unless we read the name in the neck.

As someone who dies in 38 to 52F water and needs a buttload of lead anyway, I don't care about Catalina's being slightly heavier. With 18/45 or 15/55 in them I am usually trying to get the tails *down* and the bottle in trim anyway. The 50% bottle is always a boat anchor (full).

same, the Luxfer and Metal Impacts are almost indistinguishable, but you know when you have Catalinas slung...

What are the feelings out there for these Cyl-Tec Bottles HOG now sells?

What are the feelings out there for these Cyl-Tec Bottles HOG now sells?

I've never dove them, but they look to be as heavy as the Catalinas, so I'd avoid. Where in Florida are you? You can pick up from DGX if you're down by them, or Cave Adventurers keeps the good bottles in stock for cheap if you're up in the panhandle.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom