Boston.com - Another diver at eternal peace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bean_Counter67

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just found this article on Boston.com,

Scuba diver dies in accident off Gloucester - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe
Scuba diver dies in accident off Gloucester

Email|Link|Comments (0) September 9, 2009 07:58 PM
By Maria Chutchian, Globe Correspondent
A male scuba diver died this afternoon after being rescued from the Back Shore area, near Atlantic Road in Gloucester, police said.
The diver, whose name and age were not released, had entered the water from the shore and then went into distress. Rescuers were summoned by a 911 call at about 3:15 p.m., said Police Lieutenant John McCarthy.
The diver's three friends pulled him out of the water and attempted to provide care for him until the Fire Department arrived. He was transported to Addison Gilbert Hospital and pronounced dead at around 4 p.m., McCarthy said. No further details were immediately available.

Scuba diver dies off Gloucester - BostonHerald.com

Scuba diver dies off Gloucester
By Associated Press
Thursday, September 10, 2009 - Updated 2h ago

GLOUCESTER — Police say a West Springfield man scuba diving off the coast of Gloucester has died.

Police tell The Gloucester Daily Times that 46-year-old Paul Foley was pulled from the strong surf on Wednesday afternoon.

Efforts to revive him were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at Addison Gilbert Hospital at about 5 p.m.

A spokesman for the Essex district attorney’s office says Foley and three friends were diving in about 30 feet of water a few hundred feet off shore when Foley surfaced and indicated he was in some distress.

There was no immediate explanation for the diver’s distress, but authorities say the death does not appear suspicious.

An autopsy is scheduled Thursday.

Anyone know where exactly he was diving? Where is the "Back shore"?

The Back Shore is the rocky shore line between Good Harbor Beach and Eastern Point.

There are a bunch of hotels on that strip of road and I can't place where exactly he was diving.

Paul Foley and I grew up together. He was about 4 years older than me. We lost touch after my family moved across Town, but I still have fond memories of hanging out with him.

Paul was a firefighter for the Town of West Springfield.

I attended the calling hours last night. When you think about an individual who was loved and respected, consider that there was a line that stretched across the parking lot of the funeral home, and that it took about 2.25 hours to pass.

There is no question in my mind that Paul was one of the good guys. Godspeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom