Bora Bora?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norboo

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone been to Bora Bora? Plan on taking my honeymoon this June. Any recommendations and/or suggestions as to my visit? Should I island hop or stay put? Any must see/must do?

Thank you

My Husband and I were there this past October. We did the Paul Gaugin ship. What an experience. We overnighted and dove in Bora Bora and I have some great shots of Black Reef Tips and Lemon sharks. Also some beautiful fish. While in Raitea we came up to our saftey stop and spent the next 20 minutes floating with a mom and baby Humback Whale. Pictures are WOW!! It is hard to believe we were that close. You could see the eyes!!!!!
We visted Hotel Bora Bora while we were there. What a beautiful spot. We said if we ever went back for an Island stay that would be the place. We went down 2 days before the ship left and stayed at the Intercontinetal on Moorea another beautiful location. We had an over the Water Bungalow (Highly recommend) facing the sunset both nights. Each morning I would get up and go for a swim right off our deck.
Like I said an increditable experience. Be sure to plan to come back with a Black pearl set. We went to the Tahia Collins store on Moorea.
Good Luck and have a great trip!!!! Can't possibly go wrong
Alice

We did a couple of weeks there last Nov. First week in Rangiroa and 2nd in Bora Bora. We dove with Topdive ( www.topdive.com ) in both places and stayed at the Topdive resort on Bora Bora. Excellent dive op!!! Totally different islands both above and below water. The topdive web site will link you to their travel site which has a lot of good resources as well. Also do some searches in the Pacific section of this board for a lot of good info! http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=540
Mike

I would second the recommendation for TopDive (www.topdive.com). My wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary there this past June. We stayed at Kia Ora on Rangiroa and then Bora Bora Dive Resort on Bora Bora. I would recommend both highly. Lucien Schmidlin (a friend of mine) owns E-tahiti Travel (www.etahititravel.com), Bora Bora Dive Resort, and Top Dive. He is a great resource. I had him set up our entire trip and he did an outstanding job. Drop him an email through E-tahiti travel.

Have a great trip!

I just returned from Bora Bora and Moorea last week and the diving was incredible ! Reefs were healthy and teeming with critters. Lots of sharks (Black Tips and Lemons), eels, turtles and anemone's with clown residents. Definately take an underwater camera !! One thing..... make sure you take digital ! With the new, more powerful x-rays at the international airports, 35mm film will be ruined. I experienced this first hand even though I had handed the bag of film to the TSA agent and asked that he walk the film around x-ray. Guess he didn't think it was important. Ruined 5 rolls of film. Thank heavens I had my digital UW and Land cameras.
I dove with Blue Nui dive center on Bora Bora (they are based out of BB Pearl Resort) and they are fantastic. I was fortunate to be the only person on the boat the day of the dives and enjoyed leisurely dives with the Dive Master who showed me all around the reefs.
One thing to keep in mind..... Bora Bora is expensive ! Overall, French Polynesia is pricey, however, Bora Bora exceeds many of the other islands in price with just about everything. First and foremost.... stay away from the hotel mini bars ! I found it much cheaper to purchase sodas, wine, etc. from the market in Viatape.
I really liked Moorea ! It is definately an island you need to visit. Again, healthy reefs and lots of critters. Saw an octopus under our overwater bungalow at the Intercontinental, as well as small Black Tip sharks that passed by for a visit. We rented a car and drove around the island and found several shops with reasonable prices. The Tahitian people were very gracious everywhere we stopped.
When I return to French Polynesia, I will definately go back to Moorea and pick another island beside Bora Bora. However, Bora Bora would be a great day trip, if for nothing else, to see the lagoon and do a dive or two ! The most beautiful water I have ever seen !
Enjoy your trip, you will love the islands !!

Hi: I've been to Bora Bora 3 times and my favorite is Blue Nui at Pearl Resort. My favorite room is their garden pool suites, (also the cheapest room at this resort), which has your own plunge pool and fenced area....it is great! I would suggest you do at least one other island....either Moorea or go out to Rangiroa for some really incredible diving. If you haven't booked this trip already you should do so as soon as possible since Tahiti is really full this summer and the air prices double as they fill. Let me know if you need any other suggestions!

Thanks,
Mary Jane

I enjoyed Rangiroa diving more than the Bora Bora diving (which is still awesome) but Bora Bora was much nicer top side. One of the best meal I had in Tahiti (back in 2001) was at Bloody Mary's. I don't know if they are still around but-- That was some fresh fish they were cooking up. yum.

We planned out trip with http://www.gotahiti.com/ they were GREAT in putting together our package and preparing our travel documents.

we did 5 days on Rangiroa and stayed at Hotel Kia Ora http://hotelkiaora.com/home.php
AMAZING diving. We dove with dive operation at the hotel.

Then we did 6 days at Bora Bora at the Pearl Beach resorts http://www.pearlresorts.com/bora/main.php and dove with Blue Nui Diving Center.
they were great. We stayed in an overwater bungalow

34953%3A675%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2326%3D637%3D%3A98%3DXROQDF%3E2323885646%3B33ot1lsi

Most dives involved a LOT of sharks - it was incredible.
34953%3A682%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2326%3D637%3D%3A98%3DXROQDF%3E232388863%3A838ot1lsi

And don't miss Bloody Marys for dinner! AMAZING meal !!!

Scubagal:
We're headed to Bora Bora in April, I'll post a trip report when we get back. Planning on diving with Bora Diving Center. Check out this forum, some good info there: Tahiti and French Polynesia Forums . Wonderful place to spend your honeymoon, have a great trip!

I'm sure I could do the math from you signature, but I will also be in Bora Bora (for a portion) of a trip in late April. We're staying at the Bora Bora Lagoon Resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom