Boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcpac

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to buy some new boots and most of my diving is done from really rocky shores. I use SP XL Jet fins. These are the boots I am thinking of buying and would be greatful for any help you can give me. SP molded sole, Mares Avanti, Bare Ice or Seasoft. I have heard that the SP have problems with fitting in your fins once agian thanks for your help.

Thanks, Steve

Wouldn't recommend BARE. Slipped on them once and all the customer service people of the company could say was "that happens..."

The soles are slippery.

I am planning to get SP.

Don't know if you have a LDS that sells scubamax gear or not, but they have a boot that is very similar in look/feel (construction, soles, 5mm) to the Mares Avanti, but is a good bit less. The other thing I like is that it has glideskin on the inside of the boot. I haven't tried them out in the water yet, but I'm hoping that this will decrease the inevitable funk that seems to inhabit my boots after 4-5 days of diving. At least on land, they feel the same as my avantis.

I know for certain that www.scubabuys.com sells scubamax online, and I'm sure there are others. However, LP doesn't seem to sell ScubaMax and neither does Scubatoys.

Scubamax has a worthless website at escubamax.com, but there's no real information there.

I am going on a live-aboard and want to get a new pair of boots. The zipper on my old pair constantly opens and I feel like I'm wearing a couple of parachute around my ankles. I've tried adding velcro straps, giant rubberbands, tucking the boots inot the wetsuit and Even considered my favorite "DUCK TAPE."
I will be in strong currents and do not want to worry about boots opening up.
Anyone who loves their 5mm boots. Pls advise.

I have the Scuba Pro molded sole boots. They are built very much like a sneaker, comfortable to walk in. As far as the grip is concerned you could probably play basketball in them if you have the right size. I wear a size 10 1/2 EEE shoe and needed a size 10 booty. It fits pretty good, the one negative about them is the side zipper as it tends to feel bulky under my S-Tek 7mm suit with zippers in the anke. It is just kind of noticable when I put the seal inside the boot and zip the boot then zip the ankle cover down over the booty. I also noticed how my fin pockets became tighter because of the increased bulk of the soles. You may end up with new fins.

Mitten Diver

I wear DUI Rockboots with a thick neoprene sock with my wetsuit. Tried it out for the first time in Akumal last year diving the caves. Very rocky areas and wanted something sturdy.

Unfortunately, there's a fit issue in fins for those with larger feet.

The ScubaMax boots are a good compromise. They offer decent traction and support while walking without getting carried away to the point that your fins no longer fit when diving.

Fins with wide foot pockets do increase your options however. I have found Mares fins to have very wide foot pockets as do Aqualung Blades.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom