books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakiddo

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to find a good book to read. I want something about a dive adventure. Something that will keep y reading and not want to put the book down but about the lifes of divers. Perhaps something like a diver adventure gone wrong and their strugle to survive or something keeping me at the edge of my seat......any ideas. Thanks!

If you haven't yet read "Shadow Divers" you're missing a good read, whetehr you are a diver or not.
It reads like good adventure fiction, except that it isn't. (fiction that is)

look for Neutral Bouyancy

Oddly enough I just started my summer vacation today (teacher) and have been looking for mystery adventure books myself for this summer. That said I kind of overdid it and bought a bunch – mostly from Amazon . That said I’ll play reviewer and tell you what I found. First, it’s amazing how many dive masters, dive shop owners etc. have written a self published book.

The one I already read bills itself as a dive novel but only has one dive at the end. That said, it’s still the one I had to read in one sitting. The guy kept my attention. It’s called “Out of Hell’s Kitchen” by Dive Safety Officer John Hanzl – I actually am looking for the sequel.

Next, only read a few pages of ‘A Sword for Pizzaro” by Tom Ryan, but he’s a professional writer – all diving and is my next to read. It definitely caught my attention.

Finally anything by Clive Cussler – he’s made a career of adventure dive stories and can be checked out at any library for free for 3 weeks. Little known but a really good read is Nevada Barr. She’s a retired park ranger and has two books with a lot of diving ‘A Superior Death’ and ‘Flashback” – a very good writer.

‘Flooding Hollywood’ and ‘Caymen Cowboys’ by Eric Douglas are definitely diving but read like a report or post here on Scubaboard. Ditto with ‘The Sea Dogs Finally Get Some Booty’ by Thomas Owens. To be fair I’ve only skimmed these three, but they didn’t jump out when I started them. All are short on dialogue and capturing me with the high adventure. A little better is Stela Passageway by Carol Kender.

Disregard- dup post, sorry

I just finished "The Last Dive" and I really like it. It's about the father and son fatel descent to a u-boat.

Shadow Divers is superb. I also really enjoyed Submerged, which has some scary tales in it, and Sheck Exley's Caverns Measureless to Man. That's one with some hair-raising tales in it.

There's a writer who has recently published a book about adventures in commercial diving, who has put some chapters here on SB. They read pretty well, and I suspect the book is enjoyable.

It's pretty hard to beat "The Last Dive" for an adventurous and informative, yet ultimately sad read, that will teach you about the history of northeastern wreck diving, and the beginnings of technical (gas mixes) and cave diving in a very readable book. Bernie Chowdhury did a good job.
Anything by Sheck Exley , and ditto any of the other books mentioned.
Of course Gary Gentile has a lot to say on many subjects.
Go to amazon.com and search for any of these books and the others will be recommended to you.
Good reading!

All the best,
Geoff

Back
Top Bottom