Books Explaining Decompression Theory and algorithms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fort Collins Bob

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello all,

Ok, after reading some posts on the board lately ... I have a thurst
for an addition level of understanding about decompression models
and the algorithms that go along them...

Can you suggest some good 'newer' books/or in depth articles on the subject?

Thanks everyone..

Bob

Hello ftc bob:

The best that you will get at this time are those books by Dr Bruce Wienke. They are available from Amazon books on line.

They do not, however, describe all of the models, and they are technical (mathematical) in parts. It is certainly a good place to start, however.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Don't know how much you already know, or how much math background you have, but Lippmann & Mitchell, Deeper into Diving (the brand new edition) is a very readable and understandable book that goes through the evolution of decompression models and NDL tables from the Navy through RGBM. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it uses the minimum math necessary to get the point across.

TSandM:
Don't know how much you already know, or how much math background you have, but Lippmann & Mitchell, Deeper into Diving (the brand new edition) is a very readable and understandable book that goes through the evolution of decompression models and NDL tables from the Navy through RGBM. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it uses the minimum math necessary to get the point across.

Do you have the ISBN? All I can find is a really old version (1991 or so)

This is where I bought it.

A good place to start are a series of papers by Erik Baker. Several can be found at http://www.decompression.org/baker/home.htm . I found the "Deep Stops" and the "Understanding M-Values" articles particularly useful.

http://www.iantd.com/rebreather/phys.html ,Diving Physics and "Fizzyology" by Richard Pyle is a well written basic orientation to decompression.

Technical Diving in Depth, by Bruce Weinke covers decompression theory pretty thoroughly, but IMO really needs an editors touch. Independent of the math, it is unecessarily obtuse in many areas because of simple things like the use of undefined terms in equations. Even so, it is still very much worth acquiring if you want to go beyond what is covered in the articles above.

I didn't find the 1990 version of Lippman all that useful, and it appears that the latest addition is just minor tweaks. YMMV -- most of the time TSandM's advice is dead on, even though I didn't think much of Lippman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom