Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought it. half way through it. Has some slow point . which I'm not likeing, hopefully gets better. how you read heel divers rodeo?

I'm 15 pages from the end...some very exciting and scary moments...I haven't read a novel in years (I tend to read physics, philosophy, and [ugh] computer books), but this book flew by. My girlfriend just bought me "Deep Descent" which I am anxious to start reading this weekend. "Deep Descent" is a book with several stories about trips to the Andrea Doria.

The Last Dive is excellent for the background and some historical insights. What I dislike about it is the way it glorifies all that's wrong about diving. These two men died needlessly. They goaded each other intro diving when they both wanted to call the dive. Anyone should be able to call any dive at any time for any reason. Any reason is valid. "I don't feel right about it." is a reason. They started a dive that was planned to last hours in 6 ft seas with the weather getting worse. They used air on a deep dive instead of trimix to save money. They allowed themselves to become so focused on their ultimate goal that they negelected their safety.

If people read this book looking for mistakes made by the divers it can provide an excellent lesson.

Very sad, with a different attitude they could both be diving today.

:upset:

I have read The Last Dive, Deep Descent, and Hell Divers Rodeo.

All three good reads. Each has its historical and entertainment value. Hell divers does a good job reminding me of its time to worry when a drunk redneck says " Hey watch this!"

Twobit

"Neutral Bouyancy" yet? I'm about 1/3 through it. So far, it's a real good "History of Scuba" with some personal stories too.

Jarhead

I really liked The Last Dive and Deep Descent. I also liked Rapture of the Deep (basically just the stories of a DM/instructor traveling the world and teaching scuba) and The Cave Divers (didn't like it as much as the other three).

Back
Top Bottom