Book recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
I am interested in getting a book to read over vacation (guess what our major activity will be?). So the book should be useful to a diver like me (50 dives, still getting the hang of cold-water diving, will never be a "tek" diver but we do use the Hogarthian system).

I'd be interested in something a bit above the "basic" level, I'd like to learn about gas management, learn more about deco, probably some ideas about what to look for (and look out for) while you're down there, of course buoyancy, etc.

But it must be a "good read".

The books I have seen mentioned include:

Deco for Divers by mark Powell (sounds to technical for me)
The Complete Diver by Alex Bryskle
Diver Down - Real-world Accidents by Michael Ange (could be interesting, but I am interested in more than accidents)
The Six Skills by Steve Lewis
Scuba: A practical guide for the new diver by Jim Lapenta

Would love to hear your suggestions!

- Bill

For some very interesting info for NorCal divers and well written to boot, check out "Death and Life of Monterey Bay" by Stephen R. Palumbi, Ph.D.

+1 for "The Complete Diver" by Bryskle. Just finished reading the Kindle edition of it.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom