Book for life on west coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avic7

Contributor
Reaction score
There has been so many new things that I am seeing on my dives but I have no idea about the things that I am looking at.

It orange and have fins.

Sad isn't it? I went to the library to see if there are any books that I could read and look up to find out what I am seeing on my dives but there is so much. Can anyone recomend a specific book for me to get from the libabry instead?
Thanks

One of my favorite book is Tidepool&Reef marinelife guide to the Pacific Northwest Coast. By Rick M.Harbo. I don't know if it still Published or not but it was a great book for quick reference and great pictures of 250 to 300 species found around here.
The best part is I only payed 5$ for it around 1990. So if it is still around it should be 10 to 15 dollars at the most.

Hyper-limits:
One of my favorite book is Tidepool&Reef marinelife guide to the Pacific Northwest Coast. By Rick M.Harbo. I don't know if it still Published or not but it was a great book for quick reference and great pictures of 250 to 300 species found around here.
The best part is I only payed 5$ for it around 1990. So if it is still around it should be 10 to 15 dollars at the most.

I like his book "Whales to Whelks" (2003) which is available at your local dive shop, or Amazon. He also has a few other books, but I haven't seen them.

Whales to Whelks definitely has the most common of what we see in our waters.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
I like his book "Whales to Whelks" (2003) which is available at your local dive shop, or Amazon. He also has a few other books, but I haven't seen them.

Whales to Whelks definitely has the most common of what we see in our waters.

- ChillyWaters

I love Whelks to Whales, but there are still so many things missing! Does anyone have another favorite?

I too like Whelks to Whales, but agree with Andrea... there are alot of things missing.

I like Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest by Andy Lamb (available through Chapters for ~$25). This book has a colour photo section as well as a full page of information on each fish.

I also use a few different websites to help me with creature identification.. not as handy as having a book at the dive site... but still very useful :)

Similar to Whelks to Whales.. but online http://www.seaotter.com/marine-life.html
Nudibranch Info http://slugsite.tierranet.com

There are a few other sites that I use... will see if I can locate the URLS and post them at a later date...

good luck :)

Another vote for Whelks to Whales. It is a great generalist book as it covers a very wide range of the more common stuff.

NavyDoll:
I too like Whelks to Whales, but agree with Andrea... there are alot of things missing.

Yes, but it is a great starting, GENERAL book. Once you get an interest in identifying creatures, then perhaps get books for the specific wildlife you want to identify: i.e. a nudibranch book or a fish book. No single book can realistically identify EVERYTHING we see underwater.

- ChillyWaters

Hi Chilly...

I never said that Whelks wasn't a great book.. it's actually the first place I look when I'm trying to id new and interesting sea creatures. If I don't find what I'm looking for there.. then I head to the net or borrow books on specific creatures... like nudi's or crabs, etc.

have a great day all..

NavyDoll:
Hi Chilly...

I never said that Whelks wasn't a great book.. it's actually the first place I look when I'm trying to id new and interesting sea creatures. If I don't find what I'm looking for there.. then I head to the net or borrow books on specific creatures... like nudi's or crabs, etc.

have a great day all..

Yeah, sorry, you did put up a great post, but I got that general impression from the other replies.

I love that nudibranch site (been there before). I think nudis are the coolest things ever.

And that link to the Marine Life Index looks GREAT. I wish the thumbnails were bigger though. Seems to have a LOT (missing the white sea pen though).

- ChillyWaters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom