Bonne Terre Mines Trip Report, 1/12-1/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShanChan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Water temp: 58
Depths: Less than 50 every dive
Dive times: 40 to 60 minutes
Trails: 1, 2, 3, 4

On Friday, January 12, 2007, Chicago Scuba Meetup members Eric, Jim, Mike, Erin and I packed up our gear and made the 5+ hour trek to Bonne Terre Mines for a quick weekend dive trip. Carpooling was graciously provided by Eric (thanks much!) for Jim and me.

Our first day of diving, Saturday, required us to arrive at the mines for a 7:30 AM dive briefing. We watched a safety video, then Jim (our dive leader) gave a thorough dive briefing for trail 1.

Our first dive began at 9AM. We had a skills check - flooding our masks and buddy breathing - then swam around. We saw some old mining equipment, a big pillar of stone that looked like Abe Lincoln, and generally just got a feel for what its like to dive in the mines.

Trail 2 began at 1PM. This is where the diving got FUN. We saw a locomotive (well, some of us did) in the depths. It looked like the Monopoly piece. We also were introduced to some small overhead environments, and, like Jim mentioned, it was sooooo neat to see the floor just drop off to nothing. We were told that we could touch and move anything we wanted, so I found it fun to gather up rocks and watch them fall into the abyss in slow motion. There were several stone pillars, too, that seemed to rise out of the gloom and go on forever. After the dive, we ran back to the hotel to warm up. That shower was much needed, as I was shivering at the end of trail 2.

Trail 4 began at 4PM. I think this was my favorite dive of the weekend. It began by descending in front of a large stone wall. The wall had a hole in it at about 15 fsw which we swam through. We dove the elevator shaft, which is in all the posters of the mine, and next to old stairs the miners used (I wrote my name on the silt).

Day 2 we were scheduled to dive trails 3 and 7, but opted for doing 7 at a later date. Trail 3 was very interesting, though, with tunnels and rooms and, as always, mining equipment to play with. I took a rock as a souvenir, and Jim (the guide) said that was fine. There was a small air pocket on this dive where your dive computer would read that you were still at 30 feet. I got my head in the air pocket but didn't get a chance to check my gauges.

All in all, it was a weekend filled with great company and very fun diving. I came to appreciate how the dives are lead at BTM. Diving in BTM is unique in many respects, one of which is that it truly is a labyrinth.

The staff were great. The dive leaders and 2 safety divers were professional, courteous, and enthusiastic. I was very impressed with everyone at the mines, and felt that on several occasions they went far out of their way for us.

Some tips:

Bonne Terre Mines are located in Bonne Terre, MO (hence the name), and are owned by the West End dive shop in Bridgeton, MO. Make sure that your hotel is in the correct city!

We were all satisfied with the Red Cedar Lodge. Its cheap, comfortable, close to BTM and provides ample warmth for semi-hypothermic divers.

Did you dive it wet or dry?

I had TONS of fun, and am really looking forward to going back.

I dove wet, in a 7mm jumpsuit. We had 2 other divers in 7mm jumpsuits, 1 in a 7mm farmer john, and 1 in a drysuit.

I get cold easily, and was shivering at the end of the second dive. The other 2 jumpsuit divers were fine, the farmer john diver was ok (but also wanted a warm shower), and the dry suit diver never blinked an eye.

I was going to cancel the third dive of the day because I got so cold, but after the shower I was fine. In fact, I was warmer after the third dive - WAAAAY warmer - than after the second.

Thanks for the update. It is actually good to see a good review about the staff being courtious. I've seen so many posts where people said they felt like the staff was let's just say a little less than professional.

Just wondering, would you post what to total cost of diving was for your dives? Not cost of travel and lodging, but I'd be interested in what the actual cost was to dive. I understand if you would rather not. But, I've heard it is very expensive and this is relative I understand, but kinda been thinking maybe sometime to do this and would like to get an idea of cost.

S. Nagel

BTM charges $65 a dive, and there are no group or club discounts. They do offer discounts to dive shops, but we didn't go through a dive shop, so boo hoo for us.

Nope, it's a 2 dive minimum.

I'll never dive there because I want to use my own steel tanks and they just don't seem to cotton that way. I was told I had to use their tanks.

For what it's worth, the only people who dive there don't live here...

Just joking, but that is more true than a person thinks. They draw from far around, it's not just a local thing.

Here't the cheap part of me leaking out, if I pay $130 to dive it better be in warm water or there better be a class tossed in. No way am I paying money like that to dive in cold water, who cares if I can see 100 feet.

By the way, what was the vis?

cummings66:
Nope, it's a 2 dive minimum.

I'll never dive there because I want to use my own steel tanks and they just don't seem to cotton that way. I was told I had to use their tanks.

For what it's worth, the only people who dive there don't live here...

Just joking, but that is more true than a person thinks. They draw from far around, it's not just a local thing.

Here't the cheap part of me leaking out, if I pay $130 to dive it better be in warm water or there better be a class tossed in. No way am I paying money like that to dive in cold water, who cares if I can see 100 feet.

By the way, what was the vis?

I know a lot of Mo divers that have not dove there because of the cost. I am not hot on $130 for 2 dives and only doing what the guide says to do....

I also want a light. I do not care if it is lighted from above. Lights fail. There is no natural sunlight from what I hear. I want my own back up light.

Or maybe I will give in and do it because I am bored and have the cash laying around....

The vis was 100 ft+, as far as the light would go. We had a 3 dive minimum, which was fine with us because we wanted to do at least 3 anyway.

As for the light, the guide did carry a backup, and there was enough ambient light to see without it (in most places). Having said that, I wouldn't want to be down there in a storm!

Last thing - the tanks. There were 66 or 68 steps down to the mine and about a quarter mile walk to the dock (downhill on the way there, uphill on the way out). I didn't think it was a big deal, but then, I wasn't carrying weights (I rented them there) or tanks. I think if I'd had to carry weights and tanks I'd have been very grumpy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom