Bonaire's lesser known places to stay..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Folks, Besides the big names like Eden and Buddy Dive -which are expensive for all their convenience IMO, any one stay at some of the lesser known places. I found a few dive and drive resorts for under 2 grand while the big places are 3500 for 2 weeks for 2 people. Anyone been to Coco Palm Gardens or the like? Thanks, KK

Check out wannadive hut they have 2 weeks for the price of one going on right now. i think it ends soon though. Also check out Golden reef inn. I stayed at golden reef inn last year, and will be staying with wanndive this year.

I have stayed at Wannadivehut and Golden Reef Inn. Both are good lower cost options. I would say GRI is a little more upscale (for lack of a better term) than WDH. Most, if not all of the rooms at GRI are efficiencies which gets you a small stove and a bigger fridge. They also have a pool...although I have never seen the need for one on Bonaire. WDH has basic rooms- mini frig, TV and a couple of beds and a few efficiencies. I know the owners of both and they are both great people, you can't go wrong with either place. Both use the same dive Op, WannadiveBonaire which is owned and operated by the same guys that own/operate the Hut. WDB is one of my favorite dive ops.

Looking at Bonaire in May, thanks for the info

My wife and I just got back from our 5th time staying at Yachtclub (7th trip to Bonaire) for two weeks over Christmas and New Years and were very pleased with the value and the recent improvements made by the new management, a Dutch couple Wifred and Jolanda who live onsite.

It is a small compound with about 13 units. All apartments are clean and well equipped with sleeper fouton couches and have a fully equipped kitchen with big frig, stove, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker, pot, pans, dishes and utensils. They also have A/C and cable T/V. Each apartment has a private porch with table, chairs and a drying rack for smoking or just sitting out in the evenings. There is a nice pool and patio area in the courtyard and they have recently started serving breakfast and dinner in the courtyard. We didn't wake up in time for breakfast, but the dinner was excellent. There is a fresh water rinse tank behind the office. There are no phones in the units, but the Yachtclub has recently implemented free wireless internet access throughout the complex and so if you bring your laptop, you can stay in touch for free.

The location is great as it is across the road from Harbor Village, just north of town on the south side of the traffic circle maybe a quarter mile from Den Laman, Sand Dollar, Buddys and Capt Dons.

We paid $1500 for two weeks for two effiency apartment and pickup truck during absolute peak season. Diving was $20 per diver per day dived (you don't pay for days you take off) for unlimited 32% nitrox tanks and weights at Bonaire Dive and Adventure (at Den Laman) which I believe is the best dive deal in the Caribbean (we paid an obscenely low $200 for our dives during the two week period). Best of all, we didn't have to prepay for anything other than one night deposit on the apartment.

You might try Lagoen Hill. Just a couple miles from town. Stay/Dive/Drive packages under $600pp/wk.

Its been a couple of years, but I stayed at http://www.happyholidayhomes.com/, fully furnished bungalows outside of town. We rented a van and made arrangements with a dive shop at a resort for tanks, etc. It worked out really well. Great people and a real down to earth, non-resort feeling.

I second Lagoen Hill as it was like living like a local (somewhat :wink:. Downside is its not near the beach, about 5-10 minute drive. We loved the solace there and listening to the donkeys and the goats in the morning. It was sooo easy to setup/reserve in advance. Just google "Lagoen Hill" Bonaire. They offer a great dive/room/truck package and you get free air fills from Buddy Dive (their building used to say Toucan diving or something, but its actually through Buddy dive and you get free air fills at the buddy dive resort). We stayed in the 1br apartment, very nice! :)

Kevin K:
Hey Folks, Besides the big names like Eden and Buddy Dive -which are expensive for all their convenience IMO, any one stay at some of the lesser known places. I found a few dive and drive resorts for under 2 grand while the big places are 3500 for 2 weeks for 2 people. Anyone been to Coco Palm Gardens or the like? Thanks, KK

I haven't stayed at Coco Palms, but had dinner there a couple weeks ago and toured the property. It is very clean, well kept, and has very lush gardens. They have a pool, and happy hour and dinner two nights a week for guests. Marion and Brigitte who own and run the property are VERY nice.

You might also check out Black Durgon Inn http://www.blackdurgon.com/. I stayed there a few nights my last trip. Clean, not fancy by any means, however, you have Small Wall as the house reef which is fantastic! They have a nice dock, and Rona and Rick who manage the property make the stay very enjoyable. They have a community kitchen, but it worked out fine for me. They also have a breakfast every morning that is included with the price of the unit. I had a seaside room that was $69.00 per night (not including taxes). They also have one of those big inflatable trampoline things tied to the dock, and it made for some fun jumping off, and acting like a kid:D

We've stayed twice at The Bellafonte Chateau de la Mer, you might want to check them out as they have a range of apartments to fit a variety of tastes and are close to town without being too close.

The Corporal Meiss dive site buoy is right off their property, with an old scientific research grid on the reef slope. Makes navigation easy. Never seen a boat at the buoy on either of our stays there. Got tanks from Photo Tours at Port Bonaire just up by the airport and took advantage of their free nitrox upgrade during our most recent stay last Thanksgiving.

Marcel arranged for a discount for us both Photo Tours and AB Car rental through their concierge service. If we make a third trip to Bonaire we'd stay there again.

Back
Top Bottom