Bonaire, What did you wish you knew before you went?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish we hadn't bothered with the boat package--I guess every first-timer would like at least a few, but 6 in one week was overkill. When you are in the shore capital of the world. you should SHORE DIVE!!

I wish we hadn't waited until our fourth visit before eating at It Rain Fishes. Yummy.

I wish we'd known that you need to get to the Park BEFORE 3 p.m.

I wish we'd known about the Cadushy distillery tour for the last day. Also wish we had a way of taking more of the pretty bottles home. Finally, a souvenir MADE in Bonaire!

Basically the title says it all. What did you wish you knew before you got there that you discovered? Like on the last day you found this great place to eat or there is a tour of some remote place. More of the hidden jems of Bonaire, and less of the well known that is on every website about Bonaire.

I wish I knew how slippery a lot of the shore dive entrances were.

I would have taken a boat . . .

May I ask what is The Wild Side dive?

Fairly large waves pound the east coast of Bonaire, which serves as sort of a 'wind break' (well, wave break actually), so the sea off the west coast of Bonaire is quite calm. Therefore, most divers dive the west coast of Bonaire, where of course the reef may suffer from inadvertent contact, etc...

When you go to Bonaire, there's a road that runs along the coast around the island. It's a scenic way to spend half a non-diving day, perhaps the afternoon of your last day. You'll see big waves pounding the shore on the east coast.

Richard.

We are going in November,,,,May I ask what is The Wild Side dive?

Most islands have a windward side and a leeward side. When you go to Bonaire and drive around the island, the windward (wild side) may have winds so strong they blow you over. The island shelters the other side of the island so there is less surge and less wind wave action thus the leeward side of the island. Most yachts will know about the leeward side and that's where they anchor - it's also where most harbors are. Once you go there and experience it you will understand!

Most islands have a windward side and a leeward side. When you go to Bonaire and drive around the island, the windward (wild side) may have winds so strong they blow you over. The island shelters the other side of the island so there is less surge and less wind wave action thus the leeward side of the island. Most yachts will know about the leeward side and that's where they anchor - it's also where most harbors are. Once you go there and experience it you will understand!

Bonaire's windward or wild side has one very unique feature, that makes it the destination for Bonaire's other sport that it is famous for.

The protected, large shallow Lac Bay on the wild side is a perfect sailboard are, because of those constant winds, and there are two "schools" there that offer training and/or just rental!

For our two son's 15th birthdays my brother and I gave our 4 kids a day's rental, and they took to this sport with as much enthusiasm as they did diving!

Bonaire has turned out world class sailboard competitors because of this bay, and the sport is certainly worth trying when you are there. Good way to do your dry day at the end of the diving trip too!

Jim, is it something that needs to be pre-arranged or can one just arrive and take a lesson. Also do you recall the cost at all? Thx

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I do not recall the price, but yes, you can walk in and set up something, although I am sure there are some instructors who are more in demand than others. If you wanted a really top notch instructor you probably would need to book it ahead.

My brother and I just rented the kids the equipment, and they took it right up after watching others do the sport for a short time. They never took lessons at all.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2012 at 12:33 PM ----------

Here is the web site for one of the schools, Jibe City

Jibe City Bonaire - Windsurfing Lessons

---------- Post added May 16th, 2012 at 12:34 PM ----------

the other i just found is:

Bonaire Windsurf Place

enjoy!

Thanks Jim, will look into them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom