Question Bonaire Waterproof Dive Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The book has full dive site maps for Tolo, LaMachaca, Reef Scientifico, Bari, Something Special, The Lake, Alice in Wonderland,

And partial maps for Andrea II, Andrea I, and White Slave. These mostly just have photos of the entry with some directional cues, not the full bathymetry and highlight view like the full ones above.

When we went to Bonaire we did exactly what I advised OP to do. We had pre-printed and laminated all the maps, we reduced the size to more like tarot card or slight larger size, but then could just take them with us for the dive day. Worked great, minor amount of work since some of the maps are split over 2 pages in the digital version of the book. Clipped the map into my wetnotes, stuck them in a pocket, and off we went. Apparently, that's unpalatable to OP though, so outside of commissioning custom work from Smart Reef I don't know.

Reef smart is the only one of the 3 major books with anything approaching the detail it sounds like OP wants. Dive guide Bonaire has a very very simplified bathymetry map, and shore diving made easy doesn't have anything. To my knowledge they are the only ones on or off island that make site specific cards as well. We certainly didn't see any on island.
thank you @azstinger11 , also learned something new today thanks to you ..... "bathymetry map " :thumb:

thank you @azstinger11 , also learned something new today thanks to you ..... "bathymetry map " :thumb:

Yup underwater topography =)

For what's its worth we use the amazon basics laminator (should be able to get for less than $25), and it's worked well. Occasionally it will get a leak into a laminated thing but most of the time totally dry. We use it for teaching classes, underwater maps, lap swim plans, etc. Ideally any hole (like for a hole punch to put a zip tie through, which is what we do then attach it with a boltnsap) or cut you want 1/2 inch away from the paper for the best odds of it not causing a leak.

You can get all super fancy with photoshop if you have the time/skills, but messing with images in powerpoint is wayyyyyyyyyy easier than word and for quick stuff like this good enough.

Here, this is a map that I made, it should cover pretty much everything except the Hilma Hooker, Coopers Barge, and the Salt Pier. Feel free to print out and laminate!

bonaire_map.jpg

Here, this is a map that I made, it should cover pretty much everything except the Hilma Hooker, Coopers Barge, and the Salt Pier. Feel free to print out and laminate!

View attachment 773130
glad someone has a sense of humor :D
let me see if the OW diver will learn navigation with your map

Attach files
glad someone has a sense of humor :D
let me see if the OW diver will learn navigation with your map

You joke but that's pretty close approximation to the maps in Dive Guide Bonaire lol

IMG_2512.jpg

This being why I like the Reef Smart book the best. I can post a picture of shore diving made easy but it's just text, so don't really see the point.

here is one from REEF-SMART that has the information I'm looking for the OW diver to follow

1678131806462.png

here is one from REEF-SMART that has the information I'm looking for the OW diver to follow

Yup book uses the same images, then most sites have an additional 1-2 pages of info (which is presumably what is on the back of the card in your image).

I would say that in general the maps are much more useful for general site awareness than using the pre-defined routes.

View attachment 773132
Just buy the reef smart guide, it's not like you will not be going back to Bonaire every other dive trip. You can study it on the plane, at breakfast every morning. You can even leave it in the glove compartment and review the upcoming site during your surface interval.

Also watch the Bonaire tips and tricks videos, here and on YouTube.

Cheers ! Looking for waterproof dive cards for the following Bonaire Dive Sites. Please let me know if you can share, where to buy, print from website, or trade. I already checked Franco, Amazon, and Bonaire Tourism site. Thank you.
- Tolo
- Jeff Davis
- Andrea I & II
- La Machaca
- Reef Scientifico
- Bari's Reef
- Something Special
- The Lake
- Alice in Wonderland
- White Slave
Update !

So, I’m curious as to what you are trying to use them for. Living here, and as mentioned, navigation is very easy so I can see ”reef cards” for that. Other than for penetrating the Hooker (yea, sounds wIers) any cards would really be a waste of plastic. Natural coral formations for navigation change, “best” entries change often, and some of the best dive sites aren’t even marked.

what can we help you with… anything specific?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom