Bonaire virgin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Susan Porter's Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy is a valuable resource. However, I discovered another Bonaire shore diving book at a shop in the airport that has color pictures and information similar, if not more detailed, compared to Susan Porter's book. I can't think of the exact name, and I didn't pick it up. I hope someone on the boards has this book and additional info on it. I think it was call The Improved Guide to Snorkeling and Diving Bonaire (not a Lonely Planet or Aqua Net book).

I think I may have seen this book also. I was at my LSD this weekend and they had a book very similar to the one you described...color pics, etc. I would've bought it but I already ordered Susans book. I guess I'll wait to see what that one is like. I believe it retailed for about $15 also.

update: Recieved Susans book today. Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy.

Good points: She has good explanations on entrance/exit points, where to park, how to enter, location, dive profile, hazards to be on the lookout for etc. She also has a rating system for each dive based on experience level.

Downside: This other book had all of that as well. However, it had color pics of the dive sites, some had a pic of the entrance of the dive site or a pic of the attraction of the dive, for example a wreck. Another important difference is there is NO map in Susans book. This only seems logical, no? She has a map showing the south end of Bonaire which shows 16 sites, yet she lists 71 dive sites. The other book, has a map showing the whole island; with ALL dive sites marked.

I'll be picking up the other one next week when I return to my LSD. I forget the name but I think "Divebuddies" may be correct about the name of the book. I'll update when I pick it up for myself.

If anything, color pics are nice to look at when you're daydreaming about your upcoming trip.

banjo:
Another important difference is there is NO map in Susans book. This only seems logical, no? She has a map showing the south end of Bonaire which shows 16 sites, yet she lists 71 dive sites.

When you arrive in Bonaire, you will be bombarded with maps highlighting all the dive sites. There are so many, it's incredible. And all for free. Match any one of them up with Susan's book and you are set. Have fun! :14:

Divebuddies:
Susan Porter's Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy is a valuable resource. However, I discovered another Bonaire shore diving book at a shop in the airport that has color pictures and information similar, if not more detailed, compared to Susan Porter's book. I can't think of the exact name, and I didn't pick it up. I hope someone on the boards has this book and additional info on it. I think it was call The Improved Guide to Snorkeling and Diving Bonaire (not a Lonely Planet or Aqua Net book).

Did they have it in the gift shop in the airport on bonaire?

tridacna:
When you arrive in Bonaire, you will be bombarded with maps highlighting all the dive sites. There are so many, it's incredible. And all for free. Match any one of them up with Susan's book and you are set. Have fun! :14:

Yeah...actually I jumped the gun a bit in my review and read that in Susans book. Thats a good idea. She mentions there are free maps in most dive shops and at the Marine parks. I'm sure that is better suited than looking at a map sized to fit on a page in a book as it will be larger and better detailed, showing roads etc. On that note...I like Susans book and it will suffice. I read more of her book, I like it. Seems to have all the necessary information to make for safe, wonderful dives.

None of these books can guarantee what wildlife I will see and there for are useless to me and my family.

i dont care about what the book says about wildlife i am more interested in entries and exits at some of the locations on bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom