Bonaire truck rental & AMEX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billmosel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone rented thru AB rental using AMEX? I'm confussed with the different types of coverages. AMEX says that by upgrading to their premium car rental it will take of everything but Im a little hesitant. The cost savings would be over $100 for the week.

Any comments? Thanks!!

Both times that I've been to Bonaire (most recently a couple years ago), I used the AMEX premium car rental plan with my rental through Budget. I saved a little over $100 (cost of CDW), but I didn't have to "test" the coverage...so I don't really know how well the AMEX coverage works.

It made me nervous on that last trip when the rental agency gave me the keys to brand-new truck! Fortunately, I returned the truck in excellent condition so there were no extra charges.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Have fun on your trip.

Have used my american express blue card with added auto insurance option for past several years with AB carrental. Never had an issue so don't know how well it works first hand. AB does "charge" your card in advance to cover the deductable but never gets processed if no problems. again never a problem rented from AB 8 times in total but not always with American Express plan. Of course you never expect problems but that doesn't mean they won't happen. But AB is as honest as any IMHO.
would recommend them and the american express auto plan.

Im not sure..not an Amex customer,but there may be a difference between a "car" and a "truck" ?? I have heard that other CC companies do not cover "trucks"

I have used AB and they are a good outfit..I have taken my chances all 3 trips and did not get the CDW.

Have Fun!!

Drew

I usually ask for the most beat up truck the rental company has. Then take pictures. Don't want no pretty one.

I switched from using AB car rental on Bonaire to the local Hertz franchisee on Bonaire specifically due to the AMEX issue. I have had great service with zero hassles using AMEX and its associated rental insurance with the local Hertz franchisees on both Bonaire and Curacao.

When I'd used AB in the past, extra insurance came as part of the package if you rented their diesel Musso truck, but when AB stopped doing that, I switched to Hertz.

:: Inter Island Car Rental :: Cheap car rental in Bonaire! Reserve your car online.

You can still make your reservations at Hertz.com, but the Bonaire franchisee has a little more detailed list of available options for rental vehicles.

:: Inter Island Car Rental :: Cheap car rental in Bonaire! Reserve your car online.

Ok, ok....great reports!! Here is the low down on "Car vs Truck Insurance" regarding Bonaire.

Your NORMAL coverage on your AMEX or Mastercard WILL NOT coverr p/u trucks on Bonaire. You need to ask for the "rider" for international rentals of p/u trucks. If I remember correctly AMEX charges somewhere in the neighborhood of $50-60 dollars for this upgrade. It does save you a little, but NOT $100 if you are only staying a week. If you are staying longer it WILL be financially beneficial to take the upgraded rider.

Also, the local car rental companies will put an authorization (hold) on $562.00 - 1,000 NAF if you do not take the insurance from the and use the rider. This is a guarantee for any deductible you may have through your CC company. If you do take the CDW insurance (basic) they will authorize your card for somewhere around $300 for a deductible.

Please note that all of this pertains to BASIC COLLISION DAMAGE WAIVER INSURANCE only. You may be able to secure a "full" insurance policy from your credit card, but PLEASE be sure to make sure it will cover everything....

Your memory doesn't jibe with my receipts - for me, it's US$24.95 per rental, for rental periods of up to 30 days duration, with US$100,000 primary protection. Latest receipt on a visit to the Netherlands Antillies was from our 2 week trip to Curacao this summer (June 20 - July 4, 2009).

Residents of California pay US$19.95 per rental for the same coverage, but it's all detailed at the AMEX web site on this protection choice.

https://www152.americanexpress.com/...?intlink=premiumprotecthub_hero_multiple_pcrp

There are certain countries this isn't available, but none of the Netherlands Antillies appear on the exclusion list.

Even here in the USA, this still applies as primary coverage. I rented one of the new Camaro's from Hertz on the personal portion of a business trip to Tulsa, OK after we returned from Curacao this summer, after I turned in the 'business rental' Hyundai Sonata. Same US$24.95 fee for the rental period.

The FAQ shows this applies to more than CDW, but just follow the FAQ link for more info.

"Rates include Loss Damage Waiver and Personal Accident Insurance/Personal Effects Coverage and may vary based on location, and/or other factors."

"You can decline the Rental Company’s Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), Personal Accident Insurance (AD&D) and Personal Property coverage and similar options offered by the Rental Company, because these coverages are included under this plan."

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input. While reading AB's contract they have a clause in it that states:

"When renting a car without insurance, the renter is fully responsible for the rental income that is lost as a result of AB Car Rental not being able to rent out the rental vehicle due to damage and/or damage repair".
This would not be covered by anybody's insurance. With this clause you would have to take their insurance. How would you know how long the vehicle would be out of service?

I wrote them back and I asked them to explain and this was their response:

"When a client has no CDW or F.I. the following is possible:

For a damage amount of USD 250 or less, we charge only 1 rental day.

For a damage amount between USD 250 and USD 500, we charge a maximum of 2 rental days.

For every USD 500 damage amount more than USD 500, we charge the client 2 rental days extra.

The maximum we will charge , f.e. when the rental car is a total loss, is 30 rental days".

I wrote back and said that this is not acceptable and I would have to do business elsewhere. I have not heard a response from them.

WarmWaterDiver you are correct with AMEX as it is $24.95 per 30 days rental and it covers Pick ups in Bonaire. And I'm going to use the local Hertz. Thanks for the info

Happy to help. Easy enough to find the web link - I got clued into this AMEX program from another web site that discusses Bonaire years ago.

I see AMEX has now boosted this plan for rentals up to 42 days unless you're a resident of Washington State! I'll have 6 weeks vacation available next year, so this extension may come in handy! The longer the individual rental period, the more you save.

On Curacao, the Hertz franchisee will still insist on US$2 per day theft protection as mandatory, although I ask each time and give them the link to the AMEX program site. It's a pittance really, and I have peace of mind if they weasel on charges if the vehicle is stolen; I still have my AMEX plan to fall back on as it is primary insurance.

"Coverage (for you and your passengers)
  • Up to $100,000 of primary coverage for damage or theft of a Rental Car."
I almost forgot to mention the zero deductible portion of this optional Premium AMEX Car Rental insurance plan.

"There are no deductibles."

What could be more hassle-free than primary coverage with zero deductible?

For me, that's a definition of 'value' when I'm traveling on personal travel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom