Bonaire trip report..Hamlet Villa 10, DAE, Dive friends bonaire, Restaurants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AceszHigh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A group of 7 of us stayed in Hamlet Villa 10 March 2-10. 1st time on the island for all of us, it was a blast!! The villa was perfect , clean and spacious , everything worked properly, no issues. Highly recommend this villa for large groups. Rented 2 toyota Hilux trucks from budget rent a car at the airport. No issues there. Radio didn't work in one of the trucks, no big deal We added a dent to the already dented rear bumper, they didnt notice (the truck looked fairly beat up anyway, which was a benefit).

Dive friends bonaire were great. Friendly staff, all the tanks had great fills (around 3300 usually, with a 31-32% nitrox mix consistently). They let us take 3 tanks each a few times which was good for the far North and far south trips. I did 25 dives over the week.

Last day, we took a truck up to the national park. Hiked Brandaris ..took about 50 minutes. The view was beautiful!! Highly recommend it! It would be a very hot hike certain times of the day, luckily we were in the shade most of the time. You have to climb your way over rocks for part of the hike..it gets a little tricky, nothing too hard for someone in decent physical shape though. None of us are experienced hikers. A note about the national park: if you want to hike Brandaris , you have to get to the park by noon.

We all flew on DAE Dutch Antilles Express airline. A week before our trip, our original flights were cancelled. In our case, it actually benefitted us because we got to leave a day earlier. We had to take an earlier flight than planned (same day though) for departure. On the Miami to Bonaire trip you are allowed a 70 pound bag (maybe 75?)..this is VERIFIED. If they give you problem, you just say you have scuba gear and you get extra allowance. My checked bag was about 65 lbs (brought my pony tank, valve off, no problem). I also carried on my laptop in a backpack, and a roll aboard bag with all of my scuba gear. They didn't really care about the weight of the carry ons.
Flights themselves - delayed a few hours both ways. Our MIA-CUR flight was delayed a couple hrs , as was the curacao to bonaire. We got a crazy deal with DAE (buy one get one, RT tix came to less than $200 a person) , so it was hard to complain about the delays. We saw delays for similar flights with Insel air too, not sure if theyre any better. The staff were very friendly though.

Restaurants - La guernica was our favorite. Plazita Limena was a close 2nd..we ate there twice. A note about going out to eat on the island - everywhere is on Island time. Or maybe people in USA are just too rushed? Dinners normally take 2-3 hrs.

Some favorite dives:
Karpata (saw a manta ray on the surface here before entering)
Cliff (great night dive too!)
Alice in Wonderland or Angel City (next to each other) - make sure you go to the 2nd reef!
Invisibles
Candyland
Oil slick leap -- partially just for the fun of the big jump in!

Thanks for the review! Very helpful info. Pictures?

Was the place you stayed the one with the Cliff as the house reef? If so, in recent times it's been getting positive reviews on the forum. Glad to see that.

Also glad you had a good time. I hadn't heard of the Candy Land site. I, too, love Oil Slick Leap - seems like I've seen some neat life there in the past, including 2 BIG rainbow parrotfish and a pair of porcupine fish, one of which was so huge if I hadn't seen it, I doubt I would've believed it, and all those things were in the shallows at the ends of dives.

Richard.

Was the place you stayed the one with the Cliff as the house reef? If so, in recent times it's been getting positive reviews on the forum. Glad to see that.

Also glad you had a good time. I hadn't heard of the Candy Land site. I, too, love Oil Slick Leap - seems like I've seen some neat life there in the past, including 2 BIG rainbow parrotfish and a pair of porcupine fish, one of which was so huge if I hadn't seen it, I doubt I would've believed it, and all those things were in the shallows at the ends of dives.

Richard.

The Cliff is indeed the house reef at the Hamlet Villas area. You can dive it from the Dive Friends Hamlet Oasis location. Candyland is the first dive after Bopec heading north.

Nice! Love the park as well..and your favorite sites pretty much mimic mine!
Sounds like you will be a repeat customer!

That's a smoking deal on the flights..wish I was closer ( it's a haul from the west coast!)

I think The Cliff ended up being my favorite dive site. I really liked the Hamlet Oasis location. Did any of the rooms have ocean views? Thanks for posting the trip report.

I think The Cliff ended up being my favorite dive site. I really liked the Hamlet Oasis location. Did any of the rooms have ocean views? Thanks for posting the trip report.

The Hamlet Villas are oceanfront. This is the view from Hamlet Villa #11...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 299
All 6 rooms in the villa are ocean front. Each room has 2 beds put together to make a king bed. I saw the biggest rainbow parrot fish I've ever seen in my life at oil slick on a night dive. Pics to follow...

the pic posted by unc is beachcomber villa, Oasis #11 - a wondrous place. The terrace by the water is where one sits with a cocktail at sunset.

next door southward is 10A, a private residence I believe, then 10, a large waterfront villa.

Also I'll mention that I didn't even think about getting on a boat. No need. We considered it briefly for diving the east side (we were actually going to try white/blue hole from shore one day) but the conditions weren't good.

Find it amusing that the book and some people here have said that certain sites are a "long swim". Relative to some other sites, such as oil slick, where you jump in the water and you're basically right at the drop off, I guess the extra 5-10 minute swim is 'long'. For someone who lives in south florida and dives commercial pier and pompano dropoff frequently...all the swims were cake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom