Bonaire Trip report April 1-8 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O:
Hi Cecil: I was a long-time lurker on Bonaire Talk. I got some good info on Bonaire from that site before we left!

As for my next trip, I'm thinking I might join some friends who are heading over during the xmas holidays. But next spring for sure I'm going for 2 weeks if I can find some like-minded buddies.

Bob: I'm a little challenged in the bioprene department, and because I'm a photographer I don't move around much underwater. That's why I needed my thicker wetsuit. Spending at least 4 hours underwater every day makes me feel cold faster. Some of my friends dove in 2mm shorties there a couple of months ago but that thought just makes me shiver. Brr!

I also liked having a fullsuit for protection on entry & exit. On some of those entries I would have had more scrapes if I wasn't covered neck to toe in neoprene!

Hey...I was proud of my war wounds. :wink: I was cut from my knees to my toes after that week, but it made good conversation at work since they think that I'm loco for scuba diving anyway! I'm glad to hear that you had a good trip and that you're returning to Bonaire. You get what you expect from the island and the people that I've met have been wonderful. It's my choice of a dive vacation! Safe diving, Bob

Heck, I'm a cave diver so all the people at work think I'm nuts, period! Not just about the diving, LOL.

As for war wounds, my feet were all blistered up and rubbed from my boots. I'm always hobbling around after a few days. The things we suffer to see all the pretty creatures underwater! :)

Great trip report. You have made my PBD resurface. Was there for 10 days in November and had a great time. Oil Slick was one of our favorite dives , also.

CUunderH2O:
Heck, I'm a cave diver so all the people at work think I'm nuts, period! Not just about the diving, LOL.

As for war wounds, my feet were all blistered up and rubbed from my boots. I'm always hobbling around after a few days. The things we suffer to see all the pretty creatures underwater! :)

HaHa..Yep, it's worth it to us. Did you get to dive the "Lighthouse" ?

No, we didn't get to that site. My buddy preferred the northern sites and I sort of did too, although my original plan was to dive some more of the southern sites. But I soon realized there was no way we would be able to dive all the sites I wanted (I originally had planned on 5 dives/day every day). We had also planned to do a couple of dives with Larry's Wildside Diving, but decided not to on this trip. I knew I'd be back anyway, so I figured I'd pace myself my first time out.

I can not wait for my trip to Bonaire now. Thanks for the dive and shore report. We are staying at the Sand Dollar fro June 2nd to June 9th. 45 days and counting.

I just got back on the 14th. I dove all week in a .5mm full suit. As this was my sons first trip we did not make many long dives. We did get in 19 dives though and had a good time. We dove the south alot for the turtles. Margate bay was godd for this as we would see atleast one and sometimes up to 4 a dive.

flatwood:
Great report and wonderful photos! I heading down there friday and I'm glad to see the water temps in the 80's. Do you think that a 7/5 wetsuite was needed? My last trip to Bonaire was in August and I wore a shortie the entire trip but it sounds like I may need to make an adjustment this time. Thanks! Bob

I am bringing a aquaflex 5mm.. I am tall (6' ) and thin so chill easily.But if you go with a full 3mm you should be fine.Maybe take a 3mm vest/hood to wear under the suit . If you cannot find one where you are, let me know and I'll see if your size is in store.They are cheap enough,(maybe $30/$40.)Probably ok first 2 days but then you will want to use vest,especially for our every night night dives..Bob,sending you a pm..

Great Trip report! Glad you guys had a great time!
I just Booked my trip for August and those photos gave me PBD bad!

Larrys WS is worth doing....next time!

Thanks,
Drew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom