Bonaire Trip Report and Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I definitely had my gas siphoned down to empty so that is not hearsay. The tank cap had a lock but obviously that was no deterrent. FWIW, I rented from AB Rental (I think that was the name). I was told both by the car rental agency and by someone affiliated with CocoPalm that after a quiet period, they have had a resurgence of these types of issues lately. All 4 tires being stolen off my neighbors rental car is also not hearsay. I talked for half an hour or so with the woman who rented the car and she confirmed my suspicians (i.e., that were originally generated when I saw the car up on cinderblocks in the morning with all 4 tires missing). There is suppose to be a couple of security guys who patrol the neighborhood to deter this sort of thing, but either they have been falling down on the job or its just unrealistic to expect that a couple of guys supposedly walking around at night looking for thievery can cover the area adequately.

Good report . The drunken walrus issue can be helped with heavy duty soles but I too have taken the lunge even in my heavy boots.
The gas theft thing is getting to a new low . I like to roll with the punches but that is a low blow. Vehicles I have used usually have wheels no one would want.
I have had great success with small local restaurants all over Bonaire , however , after 4-5 dives a day horse meat and turnip would be awesome so our opinions are biased .
I Have been four times and love it . Worst thing that happened to me was a hit of dengue fever . I still want to go back .

Look around for stacks of coral at the sites, those mark the easy (a term I use loosely) entries/exits.

That is a great piece of info I wish I had before I left. I saw those stacks and wondered what they were. Figured it was just people with too much time on their hands piling up coral.

Vehicles I have used usually have wheels no one would want.

Yeah, my rental truck had really lousy looking tires. I mentioned it to the renter when I first got the truck. I'm glad I didn't get the good tires. I don't know where my neighbor rented, but it was actually a very nice looking car that I assume, had equally nice tires.

We always ask for the older vehicles with scratches and a dent or two, the tires though have to be decent! An older truck or car draws less attention! The idea is to blend when in Bonaire! It is funny the stuff you forget like the coral piles to tell your friends to look for! I will say that I think some rudimentary stars in some places would be nice! The resorts could get together and make it a project! It would help make it safer for us and the shore critters!

Food: Nothing exceptional. I frequented lots of mid-high end places and didn't have a bad meal, but didn't have anything too memorable either.

Well our perceptions in this arena do differ. I realize food is a subjective issue, but can tell you we have very high standards in our household (both my wife & I are Italian & take food very seriously, having made multiple trips to Italy in search of some of the finest gastronomic delights). We have had many utterly fantastic meals on Bonaire!

We always ask for the older vehicles with scratches and a dent or two, the tires though have to be decent! An older truck or car draws less attention! The idea is to blend when in Bonaire! It is funny the stuff you forget like the coral piles to tell your friends to look for! I will say that I think some rudimentary stars in some places would be nice! The resorts could get together and make it a project! It would help make it safer for us and the shore critters!

I like the older trucks too, cause no one's going to notice a new dent or two on one of those puppies :D

That is a great piece of info I wish I had before I left. I saw those stacks and wondered what they were. Figured it was just people with too much time on their hands piling up coral.

That's what I thought at first and then we started to tie them to the entries and exits. I don't know if those are the official entries; we just kinda figured that out. Unfortunately while we were underwater at one of the sites someone stole the pile of coral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom