Bonaire Trip Report and Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I arrived about Jan 3 and returned Jan 10. First trip to Bonaire. Here are a few thoughts. If you have any questions, reply here or PM me. I'll be glad to add to this.

Diving: Of course, the big draw is the fact that so many fish (and other things) can be found in such clear waters, just off the beach. The entries were not quite as easy as I had imagined however. Most of the beaches I visited were several inches deep in broken bleached thick coral fragments, and at some sites, there was a hard ledge (I assume of ancient coral) at the waters edge. The beach coral chewed the hell out of my fins, and the slippery ledge which extended into the water (I'm thinking mostly about sites south of the city) made it difficult to get a firm footing. I actually got knocked down by some very mild waves on one exit and wallowed around in the "surf" like a drunken walrus for a minute or so, coming out with a few bruises and, as I discovered later that night at dinner, an urchin spine tip in my elbow. I was more thoughtful after that and didn't have any big problems on later dives but did have to be very conscious of my entries and exits.

My favorite dive sights were south of town (Angel City, Hilma Hooker, Invisibles). There were plenty of fish, the entries/exits were more manageable than some other areas (despite the fact that this was where I got knocked down), and access was good (i.e., lots of beach without buildings or parking lots). I was going to do a dive up in Washington-Slagbai Natl park, but the currents were a bit heavy that day, and since I wasn't sure how they moved in, out, and around the headlands of the coves, and since I was diving solo, I didn't do the dive...but it was very pretty. BTW, a trip through Slagbai should only be attempted with a jeep or PU truck. It is unpaved, rutted, VERY bumpy, and long. My scuba tank bounced off its rack in the back of the truck very early on.

By the way, my hotel had some sort of arrangement with Dive Friends of Bonaire where I got a 10% discount. They were OK, but I got a much better vibe from a place just a little south of town called Belmar Oceanfront Diving. I went in to get a replacement clip for a fin and ended up signing up with them to do a night dive. I did two night dives - one with Dive Friends of Bonaire that was just in front of their shop, and then the one with Belnar where we went south to the Salt Pier. Anyway, I really enjoyed the 2nd.

Crime: Yeah, its a problem. After reading some other posts about this, I e-mailed the place I was staying (Coco Palm) a few days before I arrived and they never returned my e-mail. When my rental truck was delivered, they asked if I wanted insurance. They explained the gas thieving problem. I declined the insurance, and sure enough, a couple of days before I left, my gas was siphoned out while my car was parked at night in front of the place I was staying (Luna Azul, I think was the name of the unit). The truck rental people actually warned me to not fill up so I wouldn't lose a whole tank (gas is like 3-4 times more expensive down there vs the States). Fortuneately, they just siphoned the gas. I had to pay $30 for someone to come out, check the truck out and put a couple of gallons in the tank (which was on top of the $30). Often, they cut the gas line, and then the charge is $90 plus gas (unless you have insurance). I asked someone who worked at Coco Palm if I should park somewhere else and he suggested around the corner, where one of the residents had some dogs that barked at strangers. The next day, I went to get my car and saw that someone else's car was on cinderblocks with all the wheels missing. I confirmed later in the day that it was indeed a case of thievery.

Food: Nothing exceptional. I frequented lots of mid-high end places and didn't have a bad meal, but didn't have anything too memorable either. I was told emphatically by one person (who worked at a dive shop) that the Yacht Club Restaurant was heads and tails above anything else and judging by the fact that I couldn't get a reservation for 4 days (after I had left), I suspect that he was telling the truth. It's not what it sounds like, but a small place with not many tables, run by two people. I did have one meal I could recommend from a Tapas type place on the waterfront (a bit towards the north of the main city dock area). It was called something like Guarniciro.. or something but don't quote me on that. Also, going just a bit north of town, just past a circle (roundabout) intersection, is a place on the right called Eli's Deli which had some very nice sandwiches. I didn't care for the burger I had on the first day, but could tell the place a good vibe (kind of a gourmet deli) and went back and was glad I did.

Other Stuff: As I say, Washington-Slingbai park was a long bouncy bouncy haul. If you have the time, you may want to visit. The coves were very nice, and I saw Iguanas up their, which I did not see elsewhere. If you are so inclined, there were some trails that might be interesting to hike, assuming you have a day to kill and just want to do something different. There is also some volcanic topography up there whereas most of the rest of the island is fairly flat. Given the state of my tires, I was worried for much of the trip that I might get a flat. I think you could actually see a lot of what their is to see if you just go as far as then entrance/visitors center.

One thing I would recommend for sure is the kayak mangrove trip run by the Mangrove Research Center (I think that's what its called). You will see flyers for this all over. Anyway, do the one with the snorkel component. And if you go at 8:30 like I did, you may have very pleasant weather. Its an education-oriented trip, but just a nice paddle also.

Well, I'm probably forgetting something, but those are the things that come to mind.

Last edited:
Good report, it is a different trip for each of us, and sounds like you had a decent one! I like the compound places like Buddy, Capt. Don's, and those that are contained! You feel safer and there is a guard on the property and those things don't seem to happen...... You missed some great diving in the park, but you can always go back, we have a group planning an August trip! PM me for info....

I like both North and south and have wallowed myself from time to time! I take two sets of booties and one is pair of really thick soled booties.... The Iron Shore up north like at Jeff Davis can be tough on feet! Most places you can pick your way into the sandy areas or float out over the close in stuff, there are a lot of little channels if you look!

There are also a lot of things to see on the east side like the Mother Rock and Petroglyphs along the road with Kiosks that are informative.... The museum at the park is a good one as well.... Keep your Marine Park receipt it will get you in free!

Sorry to hear about your fuel line, that's a new one!

The word is Buddy will be doing a three tank dive in the park this year from their boat!

Yes, were I to return, I would definitely invest in some heavy duty booties (hey, that kind of rhymes). I would have loved to do a boat dive on the east side. The only operator I know of is "Larrys Wildside Diving" and he had just gotten a new boat which wasn't quite ready yet. I think I missed the opportunity to do that by about a week.

Sorry to hear about the gas incident. I've stayed at Sand Dollar on my last two trips and did not see any problem there.

I've done the "drunken walrus" impression a couple of times myself on the south side when I wasn't paying attention to the waves. The best advice I recieved before my first trip was hard sole booties. They made all the difference for me.

Yes, were I to return, I would definitely invest in some heavy duty booties (hey, that kind of rhymes). I would have loved to do a boat dive on the east side. The only operator I know of is "Larrys Wildside Diving" and he had just gotten a new boat which wasn't quite ready yet. I think I missed the opportunity to do that by about a week.

Larry hasn't been in business for over a year. The boat was sold and the operation is now called "East Coast Charters". We did a trip with them last year and although it fine, we wouldn't spend the money for a repeat.

Thanks for the trip report, I'd heard of gas siphoning before at places that have you park right on the road instead of in parking lots. The petty crime thing is definitely annoying and something everyone should be aware of when they go to Bonaire, but I still feel safer there than any other Caribbean island I've been on, so we take precautions and thus far haven't had anything happen.

Re: Buddy's new 3-tank to the National Park, I read a review that was glowing about it. We're definitely booking to do it at least once during our July trip this year!

We all have hard sole boots, but this last summer I forgot to suggest this to my brother and his kids for their first Bonaire trip. The solution I found was to have them wear heavy sandals for the entry, then switch to their closed foot fins, and strap the sandals on their webbing for the exit. Problem solved.

Most of the site with the coral shelf have one or two spots where the sand comes in closer, which makes for a better entry and exit point if you search around. Not every one tho, and some days there is more surge. Still beats a great many boat ladder entries I will forever bear scars from!

Food: Nothing exceptional.

Finally a food review that I agree with! When I read gushing reviews about all the delicacies on Bonaire it makes me wonder what kind of low grade dog food people eat back home.

I found the food to be good but like you said "Noting exceptional"

I hear you about the entries - definitley fin up in the water. People recommend hard sole boots but I was fine both trips with my softies. Look around for stacks of coral at the sites, those mark the easy (a term I use loosely) entries/exits.

thanks for the report and the dive news..I live in the vicinity of Coco Palm and NEVER ever heard of this gas issue or tires being stolen..I have had this confirmed and am devastated to hear of this happening..PM and I will give you email addresses to Tourism Boards and Officials to complain..say nothing, nothing changes..this is NOT acceptable..

Last edited:
Couldnt agree more. Great report.
Eli's Deli is really great.
We stayed at Belmar in 2008. Great dive op, secure rooms and a good house reef. Totak dive freedom. If you go back I would try ti stay there.
We also drove up north this year. Beautiful country. Very similar to Southern California foothills. Just with warm fish filled reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom