Bonaire Trip Report 4-24 to 5-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba65

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, here is my Bonaire trip report: Travel from Boston on Air Jamaica...I had heard horrid things about it...well, we left from Boston on 4-24 via Montego Bay, Jamaica...had a good flight...with no problems at all all flights on time. Arrived in Bonaire picked up the car rental and headed to the hotel to the Plaza Resort to check in. we stayed at the villa's and those are located right across the airport. the next morning went and did the orientation and got the park medallion and then we did a shore dive right on the plaza beach...that was a nice get started dive. after that we ended up going to Angel City to do another shore dive. both were really good dives considering I personally don't like shore dives. Before going on to more of the diving I would like to say that the Plaza is a very nice hotel...very dutch of course. we had a 2 room villa since we were sharing it with a friend. the villa's are very big and roomy with each bedroom having it's own bathroom, livingroom/kitchen not that i wanted to go on vacation and cook. did not once use he kitchen or living room area. hubby and friend did use the refridge for the beer and water. all the staff at the hotel was nice and friendly. did eat breakfast at the hotel each morning since it was convenient and also had lunch there pretty much all the time after the diving. dinner we went into town all the time.

DIVING:
KLEIN BONAIRE: this is a small island not far from the mainland. the diving there is excellent. seen tons of sargent major's, french angel fish, moray's, lots of coral of course, the 2 dives were done at this place...on the north side and the south side.

THE WRECK OF THE HILMA HOOKER: boy what a wreck..it's a must for anyone that travels to Bonaire. this wreck sits in about 100 ft. of water..can be easily done from shore..we did it from the boat more convenient. you can clearly see the wreck at about 20ft. of water and as you go down it comes in clear as this huge ship. tons of see life here...tons of tarpon, sargent major's, barracuda and other fish.

KLEIN/HANDS OFF: another site in Klein...also really a good dive with tons of sea life. french angel, sargent major's, parrot's, black durgon, wrasse's, snapper's, bi-colore damselfish.

SOMETHING SPECIAL...this was a night dive: It's called something special cause i don't know why..though it was special since there is alot of night life there...specially with the moray's...spotted moray's up the wassoo, golden spotted moray's, spanish lobsters...parrot fish sleeping in there caccoon. if you know when parrot fish sleep they encase themselves in a slime like caccoon so they won't be eaten by other larger predators. it's very cool to see that.

OIL SLICK LEAP: this can also be done as a shore dive..it's clifts and you just jump in and then for coming out..you drift and come out like 50 yards away...also was done by boat. all variety of fish...again really nice spot.

SALT PIER: this dive is done with a tour guide...and they must get permission to go there. It was an awesome dive also..tons of tarpon, saw my first Rock fish ever since diving in 13 yrs. French angel fish, barracuda, trumpet fish, nassau grouper, whitespotted filesfish, honeycomb cowfish, spotted trunkfish, etc. this is a must dive if you go to Bonaire.

Also, did the Hilma Hooker wreck again since a bunch of the people that was in our group of friends didn't get good shots the first time. so, did Something Special in the day. Did a total of 11 dives and each was as good as the next.

I recommend going there if you haven't.

For food we went to Casablanca one night and boy the food is great..specially the mixed grill. tons of food and they say it's good for 2 people..well, it's actually good for at least 3 or 4.

Also, ate at the Rib Factory also recommend this place.located in the waterfront pier. good ribs and good service.

Highly recommend eating at Richard's...the food is faboulous...try to go there before sunset and be there for sunset..it's really beautiful..a bit on the pricey side..but, so worth it. the owner Richard is from Massachusetts.

Coco's is also a good place...sorta mexican food there not expensive but good. There is one KFC in the island and that is just below the Rib Factory. didn't eat there.
All in all the diving is awesome and will be going back there sometime next yr. coming back was another story with Air Jamaica....we were due to depart there at 3:00 p.m. well, that was delayed by 2 hrs. after finally departing..we missed our connection in Montego Bay....we arrived in Jamaica at 5 and were told that our flight had left and we would be on the 11pm. flight.....now that is 6 hrs. of waiting...they said they would take us to the Holiday Inn for dinner...though we opted not to go since we would have to take our luggage with us..and then come through customs. they said if we wanted something at Margaritaville they would pay for it...ok....figured they would pay for a good dinner because of the inconvenience..well, they only gave $8.00 U.S. to each of the 14 of us ..that barely buy's an appetizer. can you say cheapos! Now by this time everybody was tired and getting very cranky...for this i recommend that if you have a laptop take it with you and some movies...or not travel on AJ. by 10pm. the 11pm flight was now delayed another 1/2 hr. boy, can you say that there was a bunch of happy folks! NOT.......well, to make the story short..we didn't leave there til 2am. and not on AJ...it was a North American Plane....ya, i said the same thing...what is North American. well, turns out that it's a private airline that is used as a charter..and when airlines have problems with anything they use North American Air. very nice planes indeed. So, the pilot makes an announcement saying sorry for the inconvenience etc. that they were called to pick us up cause AJ had mechanical problems...now why could AJ tell us that...Drrrrrrrrrr . well, we arrived in Boston yesterday at 6:30 am... we all were very tired and cranky. So, all in all the flight down was good..but, coming back was horrible. The diving was the best i've done ever in my 13 yrs. of diving, the hotel was good..no complaints there. I will try to post some pictures if i can figure out how. If anyone has any questions i'll be more than happy to answer them.

Scuba65:
Before going on to more of the diving I would like to say that the Plaza is a very nice hotel...very dutch of course.
Just a bit curious, define very Dutch? :06:

Laurens

What I mean by very dutch is that all you hear speak is dutch.

Yeah, Dutch...you know, wooden shoes, tulips.... :D

By the way, I didn't know there was a KFC on the island !!! Man, I travel 20 hours and umpteen thousand miles to get there, and didn't even get to sample some of the local dishes.

ThANKS FOR THE TRIP REPORT. By the by, for those of us who haven't been to Bonaire . . where else have you dove and what would you compare it to?

I've dove in Costa Rica a few times, Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Dominica, the US. by far i would dive in Bonaire as fast as you can say "DIVE". the diving is just awesome. but that's my opinion.

Looks like another Bonaire addict, now comes the hard part, dealing with PBD- Post Bonaire Depression. We have a support group on the Bonaire board, come suffer with us. :)

Glad you had a good time.

I have to agree, it is great diving. I just came back this Friday having had almost two weeks there. I thought Small Wall was one of the best dives. There are three frog fish there and they are such amazing creatures. We tried to find the elusive yellow seahorse at Oil Slick but to no avail. The green bay turtles at Margate Bay, just south of Salt Pier, were fantastic. I can't wait to get back to NY diving now - too much visibility gives me vertigo :wink:

Tim, I would describe Bonaire this way:

My best description of the diving in Bonaire is EASY. Incredibly EASY. Dive resorts that cater to divers. No surf to fight, it's like a lake because it's protected. Tons of beach dives if you don't want to pay for boat dives. Single tank boat dives are only $25-30 each. EASY.

Bonaire the island, IMO, is desolate and barren. Not a tropical paradise by any stretch. Not on the top of my list for somewhere I'd take a non-diving spouse or family. Zero nightlife. On the plus side, it is uncrowded and peaceful. Though it's tough to get to for most people. Took me 20 hours door to door from LA. And one of the airlines (Air Jamaica) that flies to Bonaire is going thru some bankruptcy problems. So getting there is a toss of the dice.

It has the #1 rated reef in the Caribbean in terms of types and quantity of marine life (Bari Reef). As I recall it was something like 350 different species. I dove Bari for 5 days straight, and it was wonderful. Just a few of the marine life I saw a lot of: Parrotfish, Ocean Surgeonfish, French Grunts, Trumpetfish, Butterflyfish, Peacock Flounder, Octopus, Morays, French and Queen Angelfish, Porcupinefish, Blue Tang, Trunkfish, some incredible sponges of all types, gorgeous coral, etc., etc. Saw only one turtle, no rays, saw some Tarpon. This place is also a photographer's dream.

If you want a place to go and relax, away from the crowds, and just do some easy diving, Bonaire is the place.

Back
Top Bottom