Bonaire Trip Report 4-24 to 5-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc:
Tim, I would describe Bonaire this way:

My best description of the diving in Bonaire is EASY. Incredibly EASY. Dive resorts that cater to divers. No surf to fight, it's like a lake because it's protected. Tons of beach dives if you don't want to pay for boat dives. Single tank boat dives are only $25-30 each. EASY.

Bonaire the island, IMO, is desolate and barren. Not a tropical paradise by any stretch. Not on the top of my list for somewhere I'd take a non-diving spouse or family. Zero nightlife. On the plus side, it is uncrowded and peaceful. Though it's tough to get to for most people. Took me 20 hours door to door from LA. And one of the airlines (Air Jamaica) that flies to Bonaire is going thru some bankruptcy problems. So getting there is a toss of the dice.

It has the #1 rated reef in the Caribbean in terms of types and quantity of marine life (Bari Reef). As I recall it was something like 350 different species. I dove Bari for 5 days straight, and it was wonderful. Just a few of the marine life I saw a lot of: Parrotfish, Ocean Surgeonfish, French Grunts, Trumpetfish, Butterflyfish, Peacock Flounder, Octopus, Morays, French and Queen Angelfish, Porcupinefish, Blue Tang, Trunkfish, some incredible sponges of all types, gorgeous coral, etc., etc. Saw only one turtle, no rays, saw some Tarpon. This place is also a photographer's dream.

If you want a place to go and relax, away from the crowds, and just do some easy diving, Bonaire is the place.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I'll put it on the list after Saba for new places to check out.

More and more reports back from Bonaire...I think I might burst before I get there! I have to find a job where I can keep running off multiple times a year to fantastic places like this (and afford it!).

Soon...I will have my chance to experience Bonaire first hand! (Watching the clock below. Tick...tock...tick...tock)

Thanks for the trip report. It makes my countdown that much harder to think about.

At least you guy's have something to look forward to, thinking that you're going soon. As for me...i'm done with trip for right now..i've done 3 trips within 3 months of each other...now it's back to reality til Nov. and then it starts again..Awhhhhhhhhhhh god i hate working.

More good reasons to get there.. Flights and hotels are already booked, Bonaire here we come..

Thanks for good trip report.

/nico

Please take me with you! don't leave me behind

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom